fresh install mac os x on imac

Reaction score
Hi, i have reformatted my imac using command + r then disk utility and erase the entire hard drive. I want to install fresh os mac os on my imac but the problem when i try to install the os using a dvd an error appear, holding C keys during star up brings me to a installation steps i chose english and after that error appear "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer"

How can i installed new os on my Imac.

Please help...

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
We need a bit more information to chase this one down

1. What are the specs of the Mac (processor, memory, model of Mac,)
2. What OS version was on the computer?
3. What OS version is on the DVD you were using? It may be written in tiny print on the disc. You may also be able to get a good clue from the color of the disc.

OP
aorzerep
Reaction score
i cant eject the dvd now, the dvd is color gray in print,im sure the osx before is much higher than what i want to install now..

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's why the questions I asked need to be explored before we can solve your problem. The gray discs are model specific. If you have say the gray disc for an iMac, that same disc cannot be used to install the OS on a MacBook Pro. It might not work even within the iMac line depending upon how much difference there is between the iMac the dsc was made for and the machine someone is trying to start.

OP
aorzerep
Reaction score
I have try it installed in a macbook it installed perfectly...is there a way i can eject the disk?im mess up...huh

OP
aorzerep
Reaction score
I figured it out,i use the disk label MacBook Mac os X instrall DVD 10.6.3..you are right seems that this disk is for macbook, can i download installer for imac?thanks

Last edited:
C

chas_m

Nope. You cannot install any version of OS X that is older than the one the machine originally shipped with, and Apple doesn't sell OS versions on disk anymore (and hasn't for years now). Depending on what model you have, which hasn't yet been revealed with any specifics, you basically have a choice, the OS version the machine came with on the original disks (if it is an old machine), or Yosemite (10.10.x, the latest version) if it is a newer machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.