Bought an Ipad Air 4th gen (A1475)-It says the capacity is 11.6 GB. Is that possible?

Reaction score
I am new here, I have never owned an Ipad in my life. I recently bought an Ipad Air with a shattered screen, which I plan to repair. However when I went to settings/general I saw the memory capacity is 11.6 GB. I know its authentic, because although I have never owned and Ipad I can tell a knock of from and original, also I am using Icloud and iTunes store which backs up my hunch. However, I was aware that the iPad Air 4th gen (A1475) came with a minum storage capacity of 16 GB's not 11.6 GB. Could if be that the this a model from a different country? Defective? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I am new here, I have never owned an Ipad in my life. I recently bought an Ipad Air with a shattered screen, which I plan to repair. However when I went to settings/general I saw the memory capacity is 11.6 GB. I know its authentic, because although I have never owned and Ipad I can tell a knock of from and original, also I am using Icloud and iTunes store which backs up my hunch. However, I was aware that the iPad Air 4th gen (A1475) came with a minum storage capacity of 16 GB's not 11.6 GB. Could if be that the this a model from a different country? Defective? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

That's what's left after iOS is taken into account. The full capacity is in fact 16 GB, but because iOS takes up a bit of that and you can't do without iOS, they just report what's left as the actual capacity. My wife's iPhone, for example, is a 32 GB model, but iOS reports the capacity as 26.8 GB.

OP
W
Reaction score
I had a suspicion it was that, I just forgot that the OS takes up so much space.
Thanks for your answer.

Reaction score
Yeah this is pretty much why I went for the 64gb iPad air 2. Honestly 16gb is not enough for me and I find that 64gb is plenty of space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Yeah this is pretty much why I went for the 64gb iPad air 2. Honestly 16gb is not enough for me and I find that 64gb is plenty of space.

Same here - replaced my old 32 GB iPad 2 w/ a new 64 GB iPad Air 2 in early December - I would strongly discourage anyone buying a new iPad to pick a 16 GB model, just a poor choice these days - but hey just my 2 cents. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.