New Mac purchase

J

jonkovach

Hi all,

I am currently running two Mac G4's with not much memory, but with dual processors. I don't know much about them, as they were bought before I started working here, and now I am out to replace them.
I want to buy G5's, but I don't really know where to start. Can I get any help? Please!?
We do all print production work here - very little design work. We run all the latest versions of all the software you can imagine. In short, I need a pretty powerful machine, and I need two of them.
Also, I'd like to get flat panel monitors, but not sure which way to go. Any suggestions there? I'd like to color calibrate them for accuracy, but 100% accuracy is not critical. Just close enough. We spot check all colors on paper.
Thanks very much for any help and/or pointers.

Thanks,
Jon

OP
J

jonkovach

Not really, though we were estimating about $5,000 per computer (including the monitor and any other periphials)...

Reaction score
Here is a great computer about 5000

Specifications

2.3GHz Dual-core PowerPC G5
4GB 533 DDR2 Non ECC SDRAM- 8x512
250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT 256 MB SDRAM
Apple Cinema Display (20" flat panel)
16x SuperDrive DL (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse - U.S. English
Mac OS X - U.S. English

It has dual displays..

Total Price (no tax) $5,147 USD

OP
J

jonkovach

Wow - thanks for the quick response....
A couple questions....
I don't know much about Mac RAM and/or memory... I know more about PC RAM.... is there anywhere I can read about it, where it dumbs it down a little so I can get my arms around it?
Also am not up to speed on the GHz, and how fast they get nowadays...
In lieu of a dual display, would I be able to up this computer in power? I would have to weigh my options in the end, but I am not sure if dual displays would win out over more memory, RAM, drive space, speed, etc.... though they would be nice to have.
OR, a BIGGER display!

What do you think?
Thanks again!

EDIT-XTREEM said:
Here is a great computer about 5000

Specifications

4GB 533 DDR2 Non ECC SDRAM- 8x512
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT 256 MB SDRAM
Mac OS X - U.S. English

It has dual displays..

Total Price (no tax) $5,147 USD

Reaction score
what about this:

Specifications

2.5GHz Quad-core PowerPC G5
4GB 533 DDR2 Non ECC SDRAM- 4x1GB
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 256MB SDRAM
Apple Cinema HD Display (23" flat panel)
Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse - U.S English
Mac OS X - U.S. English
Accessory kit

$5,298

There is the same amount of ram, just a better proccesser (2.3 ghz dual to 2.5 ghz quad)

Reaction score
or this:

Specifications

2GHz Dual-core PowerPC G5
8GB 533 DDR2 Non ECC SDRAM - 8x1GB
500GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE 128MB SDRAM
16x SuperDrive double-layer (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Mac OS X - U.S. English

$5,173

8 GB RAM, 2 GHZ, 500 GB HD, 23"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Instead of going for the 20" Apple Cinema Display, you could buy the Dell 2005 FPW, which uses the same display panel, just a different bezel and cable management. They can be had for half of the Apple Displays' price, and that extra money can buy a lot of RAM.

OP
X

xbrian87

IMHO, while MacForums IS handy, your best bet is calling Mac; they have insight to refurbished computers and things of the sort; they can work great deals for you.

Reaction score
or visit a local apple store and they can give you more info!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
jonkovach said:
I don't know much about Mac RAM and/or memory... I know more about PC RAM.... is there anywhere I can read about it, where it dumbs it down a little so I can get my arms around it?

RAM is RAM, whether it goes into a PC or Mac. And now that the new Macs are just PCs (exact same hardware inside), that's even moreso the case. Apple's website has specifications on which type of RAM you need (CL values, speed, etc).

RAM is incredibly important when it comes to OS X, the more the better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
xbrian87 said:
...your best bet is calling Mac; they have insight to refurbished computers and things of the sort; they can work great deals for you.

I'd call Apple, instead. Calling a computer could prove to be difficult.
;)

OP
J

jonkovach

Wow! Great, great help you guys have been.
Went to a Mac store last night, and talked to a business consultant.
He was very adament about not getting an Intel machine. He said that the processor just wouldn't be used to it's fullest potential until all the software has caught up with it.
He recommended getting a G5 2.3 ghz with about 2gig of RAM.
How does this system sound to you all? For pre-press and production work - lots of distilling files, and lots of Adobe software and Quark use.
I also spoke to him about getting dual displays. We agreed that getting two 20" displays would do much better than getting one 23" display, and it would only be 200 dollars more. My question on that is - are Cinema Displays the ONLY way to go? Or is there a cheaper and/or better alternative? We do color correct our monitors, but don't do much soft proofing. We like to have an accurate representation of what our printouts will look like, but don't actively use it for customer proofs. All of our color matching happens on paper - paper proofs, swatches, etc... So color accuracy is not severly important, but we would like some higher end monitors. Not the El Cheapo brand.
I just looked up again and saw the post on the Dell 2005 FPW - how are they for color?
So that is where I'm at now. I'm right around 5000 dollars per machine - but would like to come down from there if possible.

I do have another question on this machine:
2GHz Dual-core PowerPC G5
8GB 533 DDR2 Non ECC SDRAM - 8x1GB
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE 128MB SDRAM
16x SuperDrive double-layer (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Mac OS X - U.S. English

$5,173

I like this setup very much - but with some tweaks. I would like the 2.3GHz processor - would like more speed, but I think the 2.5GHz would be too much. 8GB of RAM would be nice, but think that somewhere between 2 and 4GIG would be plenty - what are your thoughts?
I'd like to look more into this - but not sure how you put this machine together for that price - I couldn't do that at the store last night... can you tell me where you got it at?
Also, dual displays is looking GREAT to me.

Sorry to ramble....

Thanks again!

Reaction score
So do you wan to go with this:

Specifications

4GB 533 DDR2 Non ECC SDRAM- 4x1GB
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 256MB SDRAM
Mac OS X - U.S. English

$5097 USD

Do you need 500GB HD?

The digital dell displays that have dvi are great... and a lot cheaper that the apple displays

Check this display out : http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...&sku=20053YR&category_id=4009&c=us&l=en&cs=19

EDIT-X

OP
J

jonkovach

VERY close.
2.3 - good.
4 gig - I think a great start.
500 gig HD - I don't need that much. I have a 250 gig external on each computer, and two 300 gig network drives. I back everything up to DVD on a constant basis, so 500 gig would be overkill.
Not sure what the GeForce is - is that a graphics card? I don't know much about that - assuming I need it? But I am not doing video or 3D or animation or anything - so is it necessary?
I was looking at those exact Dells - that would be easier to get approved than four Cinema displays.
All the rest - looks good.

Dell DVI's are just as good as Cinema Displays as far as color correction goes?

So what's the new damage?

I am also getting two systems - identical.

ALSO.... what about the Intel chip? I am considering that as well - would that just be an addition, or a change, to this system?
Could I add that later.... or not?
How much would the price jump on those?

Your help is GREATLY appreciated.

By the way - I read this article:
http://www.powermax.com/articles_reviews/first_look_intel_imac.html
And this guy had problems running his Epson TWAIN on the Intel Mac - that worries me as I have a few scanners running with TWAIN drivers.....

Reaction score
You will save so much money on this much RAM if you purchase it after the fact. And since its a powermac it is pretty easy to install. Just make sure you install them in pairs. With the money you save you could get more RAM or splurge for the 2.5 Ghz processor. Unfortunately the only powermac I have is a G3 so I don't know much about what RAM or how exactly to install it, but I know others will. Just make sure you buy RAM with a lifetime warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.