2010 Macbook Pro 17 battery issue

Reaction score
My battery has 969 cycles on it so I'm not surprised that I'm having issues but I wanted to just check with people here....is this all the battery or not.

Came downstairs to use it today and it would not turn on. It took me like 10 minutes to get it to finally start up then it shut down again a few minutes later. Got it back on and it's been running fine since then but the charger plugs in and the orange/green light is not there. I got it to charge a little but have not been able to get it to charge for an hour now.

The charger does have an open spot right where it meets the cube and some fraying but I had not had any issues up until today with anything, except to be expected my laptop does not last very long off the charger.

Does it sound like purely a battery issue or should I grab a new charger also? Taking it to the genius bar this weekend.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The charger does have an open spot right where it meets the cube and some fraying but I had not had any issues up until today with anything, except to be expected my laptop does not last very long off the charger.

A lot of charge cycles on a battery does not necessarily mean you should have these sort of issues. When a battery accumulates a lot of charge cycles...one thing that can be expected is less runtime on a full charge.

Since you mentoned that the charger is not in tip-top shape...I would start with a new charger. Or maybe if you know someone with a MacBook Pro (with an 85watt charger). Maybe you could borrow their charger just to see if it makes a difference befor purchasing another one.

Now if you're saying that the computer doesn't run properly when run on battery power...this is a different matter. If this is the case...try an SMC Reset:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) - Apple Support

- Nick

p.s. Maybe in either case...do the SMC Reset.:)

OP
J
Reaction score
Got a new battery charger at the Apple store and it seems to be running well again. I am going to get the battery replaced soon but I want to do some backups on my cloud first

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Got a new battery charger at the Apple store and it seems to be running well again. I am going to get the battery replaced soon but I want to do some backups on my cloud first

Good deal.:) It sounded like from your earlier post that your old charger was a little bit beat up. So maybe that was the issue.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.