Can one 'embed' files or folders on an iPad

Reaction score
Is it possible to create folders on an iPad, similar to folders on an desktop where I can embed folders within folders?

Other than the main screen lock, is it possible to 'lock' certain files/pdfs/videos on an iPad or iPhone to prevent others from viewing them?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No. There is no way without a 3rd party app to browse the folder structure at all.

Even with a 3rd party app that gives you access to create/delete/move files/folders around - those apps are installed on and used via a computer with a real operating system, not the device itself. And no way for you to view anything on the device itself that you've nested within a folder you created.

And yet another reason - the time is here for tablets with a real operating system.
Someone can bring that to reality at a good price point - iOS and Android are dead to tablets.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And yet another reason - the time is here for tablets with a real operating system.
Someone can bring that to reality at a good price point - iOS and Android are dead to tablets.

I think "someone" is contemplating buying a MS Surface Pro 3. :) I saw one on sale at Staples this afternoon while I was there buying some folders. Unfortunately, it was a bare model. I wouldn't mind having one but not if it's loaded with Windows 8 or 8.1. Maybe with Windows 10, OK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Yeah I feel the OP's frustration. That is one complaint I have with the iPad and iOS 8.

On the other hand while I like the MS Surface Pro and I have been doing the beta thing with Windows 10 (or what ever they decide to call it) there is still the issue of malware, constant updates with restarts and registry updates. I just don't know how much Windows 10 will improve any of that. Right now the beta is constantly updating which is to be expected but I just feel that will continue when the final comes out.

They will have to make some huge strides with the above issues in Windows 10 to temp me to buy a Surface Pro.

Lisa

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yeah, that's an issue that makes it a tough decision - I really don't have any desire to go back to the days of spending half a day every Saturday morning doing maintenance on a computer.

Spoilt - that's what I am. OS X with an SSD, practically no maintenance at all.
Even my Win 7 HTPC doesn't require much of anything because it's set up from scratch with the apps etc. I need it to have and then all data is written to RAIDed externals via eSATA rather than the system partition.

What I really want is a desktop machine in tablet form. Think we may still have a couple years waiting. I'll probly be decrepit and senile by the time we get that.

C

chas_m

For me, like a lot of people, the iPad's change in the paradigm (beyond just using touch instead of a mouse) presented some challenges to my normal way of thinking. Unlike (apparently) a lot of people, however, I kind of enjoy these sorts of challenges (sometimes it takes a while to enjoy them, but I do) -- too much time in museums, theatres and other dark rooms with odd people, I guess! :) -- so I found that what really helped me was to stop thinking in terms of files and folders. After all, its an invented metaphor based on office work, and I wasn't using my iPad for office work much then.

At that point, the realization that all "files" created on an iPad stay with the app instead of being filed separately (in most cases are literally stored inside the app package!) was a revelation. On reflection, this seems like the most logical idea in the world! My tax returns are in my tax app! My writing is in my writing app! My drawings are in the drawing app! Photos are in a Camera Roll, that every photo app I might use or try out has access to. This makes total sense! It's folders that are stupid! :)

Of course, in truth both systems make sense, just different kinds of sense. It's like saying the Chinese are idiots for having invented chopsticks instead of forks. Once that revelation came to me, I started using my iPad differently -- unconsciously allocating certain tasks to the desktop computer with its mouse and keyboard, and others to the iPad. There is some crossover, of course -- with a keyboard case I can write all day long in a coffeeshop if I need to, but I guess I just decided (again, not really consciously) to use the Mac for what the Mac is really good for (moving quickly among tons of apps or windows, like when I'm writing something that needs a lot of research) and the iPad for what its really good for (mostly passive activities but also things like drawing, photo improvements/cropping, dealing with email and the occasional bit of music creation). I stopped wishing the iPad was a Mac in some ways, and the Mac was an iPad in some ways.

I'm not saying this is the right path for everybody, but it was successful at stopping me from having any stress over things that are difficult to do on an iPad but not difficult on a Mac, and vice-versa. Now they are more like two helpers, the cook and the landscaper, to me. You wouldn't ask them to swap roles and expect the same level of success. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.