Blue screen at start up, only few top icons showing at top

Reaction score
This is the white Macbook Intel with Snow Leopard installed. One thing is the hard drive is very full only 2 GB opened.

At startup after the apple, the screen turns blue and the mouse works. At the top of the screen on the right are a few icons, spotlight, battery and a couple others.
The Wi-fi box comes up saying something about none of the networks available and I can hit OK. It leaves a Ghost image of any dialog boxes that do appear. Also the Restart / Sleep / or Shut Down dialog box does come up.

I tried to backup the HD using Restore with Disk Utility and it wouldn't let me "Error HD is a Read Only disk"
so I started in single mode and tried the commands to fix it but that didn't work either.
I zapped the pram and actually got part of the dock to show up. and could take a screenshot.
I have no idea where it went since I can't see the hard drive or any other files.

Here is what I used to try to fix the permissions using single mode:
/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -wu /
/bin/chmod 1775 / < I also tried 777 and 755
/bin/sync/
exit

I would love just to make a backup of the drive to save all the files and then install a new drive or reinitialize the one in it.

Would anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for taking the time to read!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.