Apple logo through screen (Ghost Image / that's not the light trough screen problem)

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I think I've got an unknown problem with the screen of my Macbook air.

Here is the thing. You've certainly heard about the fact that if you put some light behind your screen it'll get through it and you'll see the apple logo enlightened backward.

5km79Sl.jpg

Well... that's not my problem but it's not far away.

Here is what I see on my screen :

20150110.jpg

The shape of the apple is printed at the center of my screen as a ghost image and there is not any link with the ambiant light. If I put my hand on the back of the screen to obstruct the hole, I can still see it, same thing in a room with all lights turned off at night.

Could the sun possibly attacked my screen through the apple shaped hole at the back of my computer ? I don't think so, I didn't let it fry outdoor under a hard sunlight between 10:00 and 15:00.

Maybe there is a light source in my house that's attacking the screen, a LED or any other one with a specific frequency ?

I went to the closest apple store and showed it to an employee. He said it was impossible that this shape could come from the hole at the back of the computer, certainly my wallpaper had left a ghost image on the screen that was faulty. (I think he thought I was an idiot to tell me a huge lie like that...) When I showed him the only wallpaper I ever had on this computer (that wasn't containing any round spot at the center obviously) he was more annoyed and quickly told me that my computer could be repaired within one hour.

One hour later, I had a new screen and as my computer was still under warranty I didn't pay anything. That was great.

Six month later after the end of the warranty... (I'm sure you'll guess) the apple reappeared on my new screen ! :D Yaaaaay

So, what do you think ? I'll go one more time on thursday at the apple store but if anyone had the same problem it could help me not to pay for a repair I asked 6 months ago under warranty...

(I usually speak french so please forgive my bad english)

Reaction score
Hi ,

I have bought Macbook Air 3 days back. It is having the same problem

Do I have to report to Apple for that.

Please let me know

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have bought Macbook Air 3 days back. It is having the same problem

Do I have to report to Apple for that.

Take it back to the Apple store or where you purchased it from and ask for a refund. Or, have them give you a new MacBook Air to replace the one you bought. The screen is defective. You have two weeks (here in the US or Canada) to return your MacBook Air for a full refund.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I don't know if it would still work on today's displays, but years ago and with different technology, one could often massage, rub, press or tap (and other methods) on an area of the screen display to remove dead pixels or "faint images" that sometimes appeared that appeared to be "burnt in images".

Might be worth a try but probably a lot better to get it checked and replaced if possible I'd say. ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Might be worth a try but probably a lot better to get it checked and replaced if possible I'd say.

No way, José! This is a brand new machine and should be returned. OP: Don't mess with it or you may be stuck with it. :Oops:

Reaction score
Same here

The shape of the apple is printed at the center of my screen as a ghost image and there is not any link with the ambiant light. If I put my hand on the back of the screen to obstruct the hole, I can still see it, same thing in a room with all lights turned off at night.
I had the same with my macbook air. It was repaired without any discussion under warranty, but now, about a year later, the same thing happens again. I think it is a design problem, where the edges of the 'apple' inlay in the shell pushes agains the backside of the screen, causing this blury apple to appear. Apple should redesign this and refrain from fancy things that have no function. I am going back to the shop in two weeks and let you know what happened.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome to our forums.

No longer a problem since the lighted Apple emblem is no more on the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros. The Apple insignia is still there but it no longer lights up or shows thru.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome to our forums.

No longer a problem since the lighted Apple emblem is no more on the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros. The Apple insignia is still there but it no longer lights up or shows thru.

Didn't they do that a few years ago…???
Apple quietly killed its glowing logo today
BY BUSTER HEIN • 3:58 PM, MARCH 9, 2015

http://www.cultofmac.com/314952/apple-quietly-killed-glowing-logo-today/
and
http://www.theverge.com/tldr/2015/3/9/8179321/apples-glowing-laptop-lid-is-no-more

To be honest, I can't say I actually noticed… :|

- Patrick
==========

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, actually Apple killed the lighted logo on the first new MacBook in 2015 and now also on the latest MacBook Pros. Something else you might like... no more chime on boot up!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, actually Apple killed the lighted logo on the first new MacBook in 2015 and now also on the latest MacBook Pros. Something else you might like... no more chime on boot up!

That never really bother me except for those times I got no startup boot chime and the Mac never even booted.

But then again, I don't have and may never have a Mac with such a "feature"!! Isn't it just amazing some of the new "features" Apple is providing some users with some of their latest Macs and their OS??? Just mind boggling eh??? :Smirk:

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
I have the same problem.

Sadly, I don't think I still have a warrantee. But could i still get it fixed? since alot of people have it and its not "my fault" and its a design flaw?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Take it to an Apple Store and ask. You have nothing to lose but perhaps time and frustration. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.