Macbook Pro thinks Option/Alt key is engaged

Reaction score
My Macbook Pro is operating as if my left option/alt key is being pressed down. I know this because when I use my left shift key, the shift key will not capitalize letters or create the symbols I want with the number keys (like !@#$). Instead, it results in "special" characters as it would in combination with the option/alt key.

Physically, the key does not appear to be stuck or mashed down in any way. I was able to change my keyboard settings and "disable modifier keys" in regards to the option/alt key so nothing will happen. That has fixed the issue temporarily and the shift key now functions as normal. However, I am still concerned and would like to figure out what is going on.

I have tried different tips I've found online in regards to settings (speech, language, text, sticky keys, etc.) and nothing has solved the problem. I have an appointment at the genius bar at an Apple Store in a few days but figured I'd pick all of your brains first.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

OP
M
Reaction score
Probably a crumb stuck under there. Never eat food over a keyboard.

I have a silicone keyboard cover to keep that very thing from happening. I suppose it's not impossible. I'll see if I can get my keyboard cleaned and maybe that will help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.