iOS 8 seeing ghosts ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Something rather weird have been happening recently: all of a sudden both iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+ are seeing duplicate TV in AirPlay.

The ghost is always a generic "Apple TV" - a name I do not use, and in addition to a correctly named one, although the latter sometimes have (2) appended to its name.

I have tried changing name, restarting phones, restarting TV, restarting TC, changing assigned IP, etc.

The fault is intermittent, and is not always present on both phones at the same time (apologies for a dreadful pic - FaceTime cam in low light late at night):

AppleTVghost_zpsab057e44.jpg~original

Neither MBP17", nor MBA11" (both 10.9.5) are seeing any non-existent TVs in their iTunes' AirPlay (hardware is too old for system-wide AirPlay).
Both iPhones are up to date (8.1.2).
The AirPort Utility shows only one TV, of course.

This is certainly not a huge problem, mildly annoying, if that ... however, it feels distinctively non-Apple :\

OP
MBP17•David
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Could it be a neighbor has an Apple TV?

Yes, I thought about that too, but it shouldn't be visible to iPhones on my network, and there are definitely no unauthorised wireless clients connected to my TC.

Also, if I try to connect to the generic named Apple TV, I get a passcode displayed on my TV screen, even though my Apple TV is set to be accessible to "all on this network", so it's certainly not a different unit.

I'll do a complete reset of TV, maybe that will cure the split personality LOL

M

MacInWin

Well, it would be visible to your iPhone if your neighbor is attached to your network. It's a longshot, but I've seen stranger things.

OP
MBP17•David
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
... And there are definitely no unauthorised wireless clients connected to my TC.

Well, it would be visible to your iPhone if your neighbor is attached to your network

;) Not possible ... The resources and expertise required to circumvent my security setup, would certainly be way above the level needed not to expose one's AppleTV to compromised network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.