Files get deleted from external harddrive

Reaction score
I have a iMac 27 inch i5 32 gig ram desktop machine and I very frustrated because my files (.mov) get deleted on my external hard drive every time I empty the Trash! My internal hard drive is full so I copy and paste .mov files on to my external hard drive. I confirm and see the files copied successfully then I delete the .mov file on my hard drive then I empty the Trash. When I go bact to my external hard drive the files previously copied disappeared.

Can someone please assist me what is going on this drives me mad!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Help us get a better idea of what's happening. What OS X version? What external drive - brand, size, space avail, connection type. Size of internal drive and space avail. Copy & paste method (drag & drop?). Any errors during copy? Did you check the size of the copied file to see if it was actually copied? Sorry for all the questions -trying understand the situation!
And - size of file being copied?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.