Reinstalling Mac OSX On Mid-2011 iMac Problem

Reaction score
Hello,

I have took ownership of some mid-2011 iMacs at my job and I was told to get them ready for use and updated to the latest software. However, I have found out these machines have Linux installed on them and I have briefly tried to simply put Mac OS X back on it using the install DVD but the DVD cannot find the Hard Disk, "currently I cannot even eject the DVD". I assume this is normal and can be fixed?
I would think if I grab lets say a Linux Live CD and wipe the iMac disk and repartition it to an acceptable format the Mac OS X DVD install should work or I am I missing something?

I simply find it hard to believe I cannot undo the Linux install but I have not found very much documentation on this problem yet, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The first thing you want to do with the iMacs is do a PRAM reset on all of them. Then, I would also do a SMC reset. After that, you probably need to create a thumb drive installer of a version of OS X that can be installed on those iMacs.

OP
D
Reaction score
Chscag,

First of all, thanks for your reply. I will look into how to put the installer on a USB and making it bootable. Secondly, it does make sense to reset PRAM and do a SMC reset. I actually believe I already tried the PRAM reset. Anyhow, do you recommend trying to erase the disk first? I only ask that because currently the install DVD does not see the hard disk and even by putting the installer on a USB I would think I would still have the same issue because the installer is loading fine now it appears but when I try to start the install it does not see the disk.

Regardless, I will try your procedures and see if I have any luck.

Thanks again,

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Make sure the install DVD actually came with iMacs and must be version OS X.6.5, and to confuse things more, if some were a little later the DVD required mya have to be OS X.6.6.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.