Worry about restoring macbook pro to factory settings

Reaction score
I want to restore my macbook pro to the default factory settings as it has become a bit slow over the years and I want to start fresh.

I have:
2011 Macbook Pro w/ Mavericks installed. (It originally came with Snow Leapard) and I want to install Yosemite on fresh install.

I have looked up how to restore the macbook however many of the comments say that after they input their Apple ID to install the operating system a message comes up with "This item is temporarily unavailable, try again later" and then they are stuck.

Is this a common problem as I've seen quite a lot from people come up with it.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mIni *2013 macbook air *2011-itouch G4 32 gb (new repair projects:iMac G4 2002* imac g5 2007*
Back everything up on a external CD incase you have regrets. you can always upgrade again.
BUT
we are being scared into thinking we cannot operate our computers anymore.
what is worse that will happen?
slower internet?
personally for me 2011 was Apple's pinnacle, everything I owned worked flawlessly with plenty GB room to spare-pleanty of battery life and no spinning wheels. i honestly cannot not claim this with 2014 updates.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
BUT
we are being scared into thinking we cannot operate our computers anymore.

What pray tell lead you to that conclusion?

@OP Backing up everything is always a good idea. I don't think this is a common occurrence except right after the OS was released.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mIni *2013 macbook air *2011-itouch G4 32 gb (new repair projects:iMac G4 2002* imac g5 2007*
What pray tell lead you to that conclusion?

@OP Backing up everything is always a good idea. I don't think this is a common occurrence except right after the OS was released.

what i realized recently i have seen too many "afraid" and uncertainty about operating our computers including return to lion or and older more comfortable OS.
i would like to reming people we are smart, and can always control our computers and how we use them. we need to just start planting some much needed confidence in people's threads!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.