iMac - New User Trying to Move Files in 'Documents'

Reaction score
How do I move a file that is not within a folder to an existing folder under 'Documents'? Am a new Mac user (moving from P.C. environment) and am disabled. The click and drag method is too slow. Is there an equivalent to "cut and paste" as used on PC's?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Using "cut and paste" has the inherent danger of losing the file you were trying to move. I strongly suggest using a different method whether it's in Windows or Mac OS X. Copy and paste works well as does the method you think is too slow - dragging.

Try to get used to your Mac's file system and forget what you knew about Windows. Some things are the same and others are different. Keeping two Finder windows open and working that way will also help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mIni *2013 macbook air *2011-itouch G4 32 gb (new repair projects:iMac G4 2002* imac g5 2007*
hold the shift key while selecting files.
or drag the mouse over the files on your desktop.
i hope this helps!

C

chas_m

For people who have disabilities or are otherwise unsteady with the mouse, I usually suggest simply dragging (or saving in the first place the file to the desktop, then opening the target window and dragging it into there. Slightly more work, but very safe.

You can also use the default copy/paste system if you prefer, but the "original" will need to be trashed afterwards. There are a few programs available that act as a holding station as well. One moves the file to the holding point, then opens the target destination window and moves it the file again.

Do not give in to the temptation to keep everything on the desktop. The desktop is fine for temporary storage of things, but not workable for long-term storage for a variety of reasons.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.