• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Ever found anything strange inside your computer?

C

CharlesP2001

I was just talking with some people about strange foreign objects we've found inside of computers over the years.

At my high school students would frequently stuff rubber bands, paper clips, breath mints, and lots of other garbage inside the CD-ROM and floppy drives of the computers.

I once bought an iMac G3 off of eBay and when I opened it to put a bigger hard drive in it I found a screw driver stuck under the logic board.

And someone's niece once put a peanut butter and jelly sandwich inside the tape drive of a Commodore 64. Oh boy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
a spider crawled out of my imac yesterday after i started using it.. probably got to warm (if they can feel warmth)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i hear that people are finding intel chips nowadays, weird!!!! just kidding

ive only found dust, but i wouldnt mind finding a pb&j sandwich right now, im hungry!
-chris

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
Surely not one that has been around for a while though......

OP
B

bfx

A few years ago a friend bought a computer at an estate sale condition unknown (it had been stored in a detached garage).

It wouldn't boot up so he calls me over to take a look, mainly to see if there was anything salvageable inside.

Popped the side panel off - found a mouse family and nest. Mama, papa and three small ones. They'd chewed throgh the hd drive ribbon cable (and a few other things) enough to keep it from booting.

Mouse family was transplanted to a mouse habitat at a local zoo. The computer was disassembled, cleaned, reassmbled, cables replaced (cost more than he paid for it), my friend ended up with a dual Pentium 3 Xeon system for under $50 and everyone was happy.

bfx

OP
E

edge

This isn't so much a foriegn object, but it is funny. Skid (member) and I were working on this computer. It wouldn't power on. So we busted it open, and the power supply looked pretty dirty (slots covered, etc -- the usual). So we tore the PSU out, and opened it up to give it a good cleaning. When we got it open, we discovered that it was completely caked, and I mean to the BRIM, with dust, lint, cigarette ash, etc. A simple can of air could not have done the job alone. We had to vacuum it out.

Once it was all clean, we hooked it back up, and it worked like a charm.

I've also found everything from tools, to food, to various parts just laying inside cases. I've also seen people try to use credit cards in their floppy drives. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
My Dad and uncle own a law firm together. A year or so ago, the lease on their offices were up, and since the building was becoming the kind of place you don't want to be period, much less for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

So I'm helping him move stuff and we stumble on some old computers. I took them home and decided to pry them open and see if any of them could even boot. Well, one of them had a bunch of files from an old case that my Dad thought were gone.

Ironically, this was around the time of the Michael Jackson trial, and who had he represented in the case? A guy named Michael Jackson (no relation). Apparently, his old secretary used her computer to literally hold files!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
supposedly, computer "bugs" got their name because during the first bug, a moth just happened to be stuck under the screen. So it was literally, a computer bug. I wanna say this is was Hawaii... but yeah.

Again, more random useless info that I know of.

OP
B

bfx

BlindingLights said:
supposedly, computer "bugs" got their name because during the first bug, a moth just happened to be stuck under the screen. So it was literally, a computer bug. I wanna say this is was Hawaii... but yeah.

Again, more random useless info that I know of.

Think the 'computer bug' term goes further back than that - all the way to the days of relay logic .... no i.c.'s ..... no cpus .... no vid even.

Seems roaches and ants liked the insides of those systems - they often filled several floors.

Anyway - they'd get on the relay contacts - the contacts wouldn't connect - calculations turned out wrong - computer bug.

Or so the story goes.

bfx

OP
S

Skid

edge said:
This isn't so much a foriegn object, but it is funny. Skid (member) and I were working on this computer. It wouldn't power on. So we busted it open, and the power supply looked pretty dirty (slots covered, etc -- the usual). So we tore the PSU out, and opened it up to give it a good cleaning. When we got it open, we discovered that it was completely caked, and I mean to the BRIM, with dust, lint, cigarette ash, etc. A simple can of air could not have done the job alone. We had to vacuum it out.

Once it was all clean, we hooked it back up, and it worked like a charm.

I've also found everything from tools, to food, to various parts just laying inside cases. I've also seen people try to use credit cards in their floppy drives. :p

ROCK ON edge ah the good old days

i have seen a mouse in th computer at a sterio shope this mouse would go inside the computer to sleep everynight and he used to get in he drawer where we keep the katchup and took about 7 katchup packets through thePCI slot i gues he musta layed on them to sleep or something

OP
C

CharlesP2001

How'd the mice get in and out? Missing a drive cover or something?

bfx said:
Popped the side panel off - found a mouse family and nest. Mama, papa and three small ones. They'd chewed throgh the hd drive ribbon cable (and a few other things) enough to keep it from booting.
bfx

OP
B

bfx

Best we could figure was they squeezed thru a fan - one was missing the finger guard.

bfx

OP
S

Skid

in my case we had a PCI slot cover missing and he squeezed through there with his katchup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
When I was younger and had no money for fancy up-to-date computers I pulled a Tandy 386 out of a boneyard pile of old computer parts at my church and beat it back into working condition. Found a spider's nest inside an empty drive bay. I installed a 5.25" floppy drive in that same drive bay (WEIRD, huh?) In that same computer used a piece of foil to complete a connection between one of the SIMMs and the socket so it could have a whopping 14 MB of RAM. I used it till my Mom GAVE me her old Powerbook 180. As far as I know it's still in my parents' attic.

Ahh I miss the good old days... wait, no I don't!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
My brothers friend got a little sick one day...He leaned over the side of his bed and threw up. He then fell asleep. When he woke up he did not see it on his ground so he thought his roommate might have cleaned it up. Wrong. He later tried to turn on his computer, and it wouldn't start up. He opened up the inside and sure enough, he had thrown up through the grate of his computer. Nasty.

OP
C

CharlesP2001

Wow, I think that qualifies for the most disgusting thing found inside a computer.

macAttack said:
My brothers friend got a little sick one day...He leaned over the side of his bed and threw up. He then fell asleep. When he woke up he did not see it on his ground so he thought his roommate might have cleaned it up. Wrong. He later tried to turn on his computer, and it wouldn't start up. He opened up the inside and sure enough, he had thrown up through the grate of his computer. Nasty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.