mac pro restarts randomly, I need help!

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve been having issues for a while with my mac pro early 2008. Here are the specs :

Mac pro early 2008
OSX Mavericks
2x2.8ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon
32 GB
ATI Radeon HD 5770
1.5TB and 2TB Samsung HD

So my computer has been restarting randomly for a year or so now. Sometimes it restarts continuously for 5mns, sometimes just once and sometimes not at all for a week or more. I first brought it to a mac repair guy who diagnosed a fail hard drive so he replaced it with a brand new one. Nothing else was wrong.

It went well for a few weeks but it started all over again. So I resetted the SMC a few times but nothing. I did a memtest on the new rams I bought but it passed.
Then I used a fan controller (smcFancontrol) and it worked well for months! Until summer came, my room got hot and it did it again.

I noticed that it always does it when my room gets warm. But I can hear the fans, I checked inside and they all seem to work.
I’ve checked a lot of forums on internet, people talk about the power supply, others about giving it a good clean. I cleaned it with compressed air cleaner but it does the same.

So I decided to do a hardware test but for some reason I cannot make it worked. Whether I hold D or Option +D, nothing happens, it just starts as usual.. I have a wireless keyboard and some people reckon it’s because I’d need a usb keyboard.

Are there some people with a solution out there? It’s just so frustrating I want to buy a new one but it’s pretty useful for music composing.

Thanks
Nadege

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Apple Hardware Test requires the original system install discs which came with your Mac Pro, version OS X.5 Leopard. Meanwhile open her up, and get out the vacuum cleaner, connect to exhaust and with a rubber tip blow the machine out thoroughly. Attention to the front fan, bottom front of heatsinks and rear fan behind memory slots.

Reaction score
Honestly: I would take the heatsinks off of the mac pro and replace the heatsink compound it sounds like the compound is getting old and failing

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.