Ransomware

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black 2.2GHz 160GB HD 4GB RAM
I just got a ransomware note. Is there any way to protect my files, or is it too late?

M

MacInWin

Get Adwaremedic, run it. Then install Adblock+ and Ghostery (You can search for them). Ignore the ransom note, they cannot do anything on OS X.

Reaction score
Unless you install MC..

stay away from the mystery dmg downloads from several sites that say you need to download are downloader to install this program don't its called the mc installer trick mc is a safari extension a hacked one that sends nothing but advertisements to safari so stay away.

M

MacInWin

One more thing. Once you've done what I suggested before, look at your browser for any extensions/add-ons that may have been installed. If you don't recognize it, uninstall it.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. already had Adwaremedic. Have Added Adblock+ and Ghostery. Thanks again.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One more thing. Once you've done what I suggested before, look at your browser for any extensions/add-ons that may have been installed. If you don't recognize it, uninstall it.

Thanks. Will do that right now.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did adwaremedic get rid of the ransomware note?

No, I actually went into the History and did that manually. But that was before I talked to you.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unless you install MC..

stay away from the mystery dmg downloads from several sites that say you need to download are downloader to install this program don't its called the mc installer trick mc is a safari extension a hacked one that sends nothing but advertisements to safari so stay away.

Thanks. Already learned that lesson the hard way. Went back and deleted MCinstaller and cleaned out all the garbage I'd naively downloaded before, but I'm going to look again right now. Thanks again for the reminder.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.