how to password protect ext drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Pro 1TB SSD
I am using 2 WD Passport ext drives for backups. I am using Time Machine and I also have several directories that I also copy there. Is there a way to put password protection on the ext drives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.9 GHz 6-Core i9 MacOS 14.4.1; iPhone SE 3rd Gen iOS 17.4.1;
You can protect an external drive with a password in Disk Utility as part of the Erase/Reformat process.
However, I believe it cannot be done without losing existing data, so you would need to back it up first, then write it out again afterwards.
Jonathan

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Don't do that unti you know for sure how Time Machine handles encrypted backups. I know there is such a thing but I'm not sure whether you need to setup encryption before the first backup or whether you can do it to an existing backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.9 GHz 6-Core i9 MacOS 14.4.1; iPhone SE 3rd Gen iOS 17.4.1;
I have used encrypted TM disks, and have not encountered any issues, apart from that mentioned above, of erasing the disk initially. I have also subsequently copied the TM backups to the encrypted disk, and tested restore of individual files.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Pro 1TB SSD
thanks for the replies. I guess losing existing files will not be a big deal, other than the time to re-backup, seeing as how they are just backups, and 2 redundant backups at that. I also wanted to be sure that I would not have a problem using them for a complete system restore should it ever come to that. I am a more recent (16 mos.) convert from windows to mac so I have not yet any experience with restoring a mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.