iTunes and Featured Artists

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
While this isn't really a "Problem" I am having with iTunes on my Mac, it's a missing feature from iTunes as a whole...

When you purchase an album with a supporting artist, such as the new Sheryl Crow song with Sting, the Artist is "Sheryl Crow & Sting" and is then detached from all the other Sheryl Crow music I has since it's a new Artist. I have to Rename the Song to "Always On Your Side (Feat. Sting)" and then the Artist to "Sheryl Crow" to re-associate it with her music. And don't even get me started with any Santana CD...

This is a horrible way to address duet's and featured artists. The song should be associated with both Sheryl Crow and Sting in my library.

They need to have the artist as Sheryl Crow;Sting and then have the song found in both artist's in the library.

I have been e-mailing the iTunes Feedback for over a year to add this and no luck so far. Maybe if more people suggested it, it might actually make it into iTunes 9.0.1

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Add it to the comment field?

Or burn it, rerip it and retag the duplicate song: sting (feat. sheryl crow) :)

I think since apple uses the standard ID3 tag system, they can't just arbitrarily change the implementation of it, or you tags would be all messed up when used on other players.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
Aptmunich said:
Add it to the comment field?

Or burn it, rerip it and retag the duplicate song: sting (feat. sheryl crow) :)

I think since apple uses the standard ID3 tag system, they can't just arbitrarily change the implementation of it, or you tags would be all messed up when used on other players.

I don't think that would be a problem if they just changed the way they read the Field for Artist. If you put the Artist in as Sheryl Crow / Sting (or some other seperator, take your pick) then the player outside of iTunes would read "Sheryl Crow / Sting" where iTunes could read "Sheryl Crow" and "Sting". It would be associated with both artists and could still show up in the list as "Sheryl Crow / Sting".

If you look at Windows Media Player, they have something similar. They catagorize by Album Artist "Sheryl Crow" and Contributing Artist with two different entries. One for Sheryl Crow and one for Sting. This is close to how it should be, but it makes for alot of redundancy with the album artist.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.