SD Card Yosemite new iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina 5K, 27" ; 3.5GHz i5; late 2014, iPhone 6+, iPad2, iPod60
I have a new iMac and one of the features I was most looking forward to was the ability to simply plug in the SD card and download photos. Well, I plug it in and nothing happens? Something I am not doing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have a new iMac and one of the features I was most looking forward to was the ability to simply plug in the SD card and download photos. Well, I plug it in and nothing happens? Something I am not doing?

That behavior is controlled by settings in Image Capture. Put an SD card into your slot, then run Image Capture. You should see that SD card listed under "Devices" on the left. You can then select from a list at the bottom what actions you want it to do by default. You can have it auto-open iPhoto or just copy the photos to a folder on your hard drive... whatever your preference is.

OP
Driller
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina 5K, 27 inch, Late 2014
OS X 10.10.1

OP
Driller
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK put it in the slot, ran Image Capture, and no device other than my printer is displayed

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK put it in the slot, ran Image Capture, and no device other than my printer is displayed

Do you have another SD card with data on it to try? It's possible the SD card you have with photos on it is defective. And.. is your SD card the type that fits directly into the slot or is it a mini card that needs an adapter? I've had a lot of problems with the smaller cards that need an adapter.

OP
Driller
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried another card and still nothing.
Not a mini as it seems to fit. Although it may have scratched my 8G.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That would seem to indicate a problem with the SD card slot on your iMac. Try resetting the SMC (System Management Controller) to see if that will bring the card slot back to life.

Resetting the SMC on your iMac:

Resetting the SMC for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve
Shut down the computer.
Unplug the computer's power cord.
Wait fifteen seconds.
Attach the computer's power cord.
Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.
Note: For Intel-based Xserve computers that are not responding, you can shut down locally, or by using remote commands, or by pressing and holding the power button for five seconds.

Let us know if that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
With the SD card plugged in, open Finder and look for that card in the sidebar on the left. Select it and browse through it. What files are on it?

OP
Driller
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To Lifeisabeach:

You have been on both threads and thank you for your help. Thought I would re-post this.

Not sure if I want to fool around with any more deletions.

I have another thread going about my SD card slot not responding. So I attempted to delete the file (Image Capture) I thought to be older. Got an error message saying it was necessary for iMac. So I tried deleting its twin. Password was asked and it was deleted. Then out of the clear blue background up popped the SD card I had in place. One blocking the other?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.