Exporting highlights from kindle personal documents to a TXT document

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m reading books that I did not purchased from Amazon using the Kindle App for iPad and I want to export the highlights I make of those books to a TXT document (Word, Pages, etc) or to Evernote. The problem is that https://kindle.amazon.com/your_highlights is available for Books category and thus, for Amazon-purchased books only. There are no entries from "Personal Documents".

Is there any way or app to be able to export the highlights I made with the Kindle App for ipad into a TXT document?

Thank you,

Hopper

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Amazon Highlights and notations can only be exported and seen at the Amazon site so even if it were possible, that wouldn't work for you. Amazon is not going to allow you to make highlights or do any kind of copying from a copyrighted book to a text file as that requires specific permission from the copyright holder.

OP
H
Reaction score
But I'm not copying books from a copyrighted book. They are books from public domain (that I downloaded in websites like Gutenberg or barleby) and then send them to my kindle account to read them in kindle for ipad.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I understand about books and documents which are in the PD, however, the restriction that Amazon has on exporting highlights is to protect copyright holders. Is it possible to download those books to another type of reader other than the Kindle? I also have and use the Kindle reader but use it specifically for books purchased from Amazon. I do have another reader called "Zinio" that I use for magazine subscriptions. That reader allows highlighting and printing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.