Safari Crashes

Reaction score
Every time I try to open Safari it immediately crashes. Is this happening to anyone else? If so, help!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
We're going to need more information. What OS are you running and what version of Safari? If you are completely disconnected from the Internet does Safari open properly? I know it won't go to a site that way but will it open and tell you that you are not connected to the Internet?

OP
K
Reaction score
Safari crashing

I am using OS X Yosemite, Version 10.10.1. I can't tell what version of Safari because as soon as I click on it to open, a pop-up box comes up saying it has crashed. it never even actually opens. Also, when i am disconnected from the internet Safari still won't open. this is what pops up as soon as I click on the icon:

"Safari quit unexpectedly.
Click Reopen to open the application again. Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple."

Help!

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you choose reopen does it crash again? Sometimes choosing reopen fixes the problem and sometimes it doesn't.

OP
K
Reaction score
Safari Crashing

Hi SlyDude! I didn't hear back from you yet but in the meantime I finally was able to see what version of Safari I have by going through my applications folder and right clicking on the Safari icon (it still refuses to open as a browser). The version of Safari I have is 8.0.2. HELP! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi SlyDude! I didn't hear back from you yet but in the meantime I finally was able to see what version of Safari I have by going through my applications folder and right clicking on the Safari icon (it still refuses to open as a browser). The version of Safari I have is 8.0.2. HELP! :)

Hello - you have the newest version of Safari. Just for starters, can you connect to the internet w/ other apps, such as Mail; and if you have other devices on your network, do these have internet connection?

First, 'Force Close' Safari (go to the Apple left upper corner, open the drop down menu, and click on 'Force Quit' - select Safari, the reopen to see if helpful?). Second, if the previous suggestion is unsuccessful, log into another 'User's Account' on your computer to see if Safari functions (which would isolate the issue to your account). Finally, reboot your computer, if not already tried. Please post back here. Dave :)

P.S. of course, you could try another web browser?

OP
K
Reaction score
safari crashing

update! I ended up just doing a live chat with apple support and they had me reinstall OS Yosemite which fixed the problem. something was corrupt with safari so now that i did all that it is working fine. thanks for your help though! i'm sure i will be on here in the future with another question. :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Well that is good to hear! I was going to suggest download the latest Safari (If that still can be done, have not checked in a while) and reinstall Safari but what you did solved it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.