Screen Mirroring From Mac Pro 2010

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2013, Mac Pro 2010, All Apple Devices
Is it possible to do screen mirroring outside of iTunes from a 2010 Mac. I have a 2010 Mac Pro with Yosemite installed. Am new to Apple TV, but have about every other Apple device and computer models.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If I understand correctly you want to mirror you Mac screen, other than iTunes content, to an Apple TV. If you have a 2-1- MacBook Pro Air Play is not fully supported. Here's a few tips on identifying supported hardware and some troubleshooting tips. About AirPlay Mirroring in OS X - Apple Support

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You've already had your question answered in the other thread you posted to. Once again, your Mac does not support AirPlay. Please do not cross post or double post a question.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2013, Mac Pro 2010, All Apple Devices
Thanks...that's what I was afraid of. Sorry for posting in 2 threads. I won't do that again. Haven't used this site much, but intend to. I think I have a lot to offer the community. Seems though, that if Apple allows updating to the new OS that they should allow all of the features.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Seems though, that if Apple allows updating to the new OS that they should allow all of the features.

Unfortunately, it's your hardware that does not support it and I'm not sure that there is anything that Apple could have done to make it available to models prior to 2011. Apple computers as you probably already have found out are very proprietary. They're not like the older Windows machines where you could yank components out and replace them with updated ones.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Seems though, that if Apple allows updating to the new OS that they should allow all of the features.

This is the way it has always been with Mac OS upgrades. Mac OS upgrades can work with computer models covering many years.

For example…the newest Mac OS (Yosemite) is compatible with computers as old as 2007 MacBook Pro's or 2007 iMac's…and as new as 2014 model Mac's.

Obviously 2007 computers do not have the same abilities as 2014 computers..so how would or why would a 2007 computer be able to take advantage of all of the features in the newest Mac OS (Yosemite)??

If ONLY Apple computer models capable of taking advantage of ALL the features in a new OS release were the ONLY models allowed to install the newest OS version…then your 2010 Mac Pro would not be able to (or allowed) to run Yosemite!;)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Bald Eagle Every OS release including Windows brings with it the chance that some hardware won't be able to make use of some features. For example, when the Aero look was introduced in Windows there were numerous complaints that the configuration did not run well on some laptops released shortly before that incarnation of Windows. IIRC some la[tops which did not run those options hit the streets mere months before that release of Windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.