• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

backing up bookmarks

A

andreas_d

Hi,
I want to update my operating system. i am running safari 10.3 on
OS 10.2.8. The problem is i don't want to loose all my safari bookmarks... how can i save them to a harddrive and reload them later. Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

OP
M

MJGUK

As far as I understand it, if you were to upgrade the OS on the machine which those files and settings are currently stored, they would stay in tact after the upgrade.
If you needed to transfer them to another machine, then you also get that option when turning on your new Mac for the first time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You can go to:
user/Library/Safari
and copy the "bookmarks.plst" file to somewhere like a flash drive or a CD or something. Then after you upgrade, all you need to do is go back to the same location and replace the new bookmarks file with the one you saved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.