Maximum RAM and HD for my MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro, 10 Core 3 GHz Intel Xeon W, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB HD, Vega 64 GPU
I'd like to upgrade my MBP memory and HD, but it's not clear to me what the maximum amounts of RAM and hard drive space the computer will support.

I have an early 2011 15" unibody model (MacBookPro8,2). According to Apple's website, this model can support 8 GB of RAM and either 750 GB 5200 RPM SATA drive or a 512 GB SSD.

Looking at Other World Computing, they sell 16 GB of RAM for this model and up to 1 TB SSDs. I'd love to go to 16 GB of RAM and 1 TB of SSD storage, but I don't want to shell out the money for the hardware if my computer won't support it.

Any thoughts?

Sean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Apple's info is often outdated. At the time it was produced, there may not have been memory modules in 8GB sticks that fit in that model, if they existed at all. As for the drive, anything that physically fits and connects will work, regardless of capacity. At the time your MacBook was made, those listed capacities likely were the max available at that time. More info here:
MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.2 15" Early 2011 Specs (Early 2011 15", MC723LL/A, MacBookPro8,2, A1286, 2353-1*) @ EveryMac.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Apple's info is often outdated. At the time it was produced, there may not have been memory modules in 8GB sticks that fit in that model, if they existed at all. As for the drive, anything that physically fits and connects will work, regardless of capacity. At the time your MacBook was made, those listed capacities likely were the max available at that time. More info here:
MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.2 15" Early 2011 Specs (Early 2011 15", MC723LL/A, MacBookPro8,2, A1286, 2353-1*) @ EveryMac.com

@ Sean - was about to send you to the same link but 'lost the draw' - ;)

Just another thought concerning storage, your MBPro has an optical drive - do you use it or would an external replacement be an option? If so, the optical bay can be replaced w/ a storage drive, such as a SSD. Dave :)

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies. So it looks like this model can support 16 GB of RAM, which is great. I think that would go a long way as I use the computer primarily for video editing, and it has been dogging lately...

It's still not clear to me if there's a maximum amount of hard drive storage the model will support. Every Mac's website seems to agree with Apple's site as far as options go. But again, OWC offers 1 TB SSDs...

I am open to the option of replacing the optical drive with a storage drive, but again, is there a maximum size on that drive?

Sean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies. So it looks like this model can support 16 GB of RAM, which is great. I think that would go a long way as I use the computer primarily for video editing, and it has been dogging lately...

It's still not clear to me if there's a maximum amount of hard drive storage the model will support. Every Mac's website seems to agree with Apple's site as far as options go. But again, OWC offers 1 TB SSDs...

I am open to the option of replacing the optical drive with a storage drive, but again, is there a maximum size on that drive?

Hi again Sean - so 16 GB RAM looks feasible. Clicking on one of the OWC links in the 'Drive' section of the EveryMac listing brings up This Page, which lists over 140 drive items for your specific MBPro - you probably need to give OWC a call or do a chat to discuss if: 1) You can go to a 1 TB internal replacement of your current drive; and 2) If the optical drive can be replaced and w/ what capacity? Dave :)

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks!

I just finished talking to OWC, and they said the computer can do 2 TB in the main bay and 1.5 TB in the optical bay.

Currently, they only carry SSDs up to 1 TB, so I would be limited by that.

Guess it's time to upgrade! :D

Sean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks!

I just finished talking to OWC, and they said the computer can do 2 TB in the main bay and 1.5 TB in the optical bay.

Currently, they only carry SSDs up to 1 TB, so I would be limited by that.

Guess it's time to upgrade! :D

GREAT Sean! BOY, 2 TBs of storage! And of course, if you need an optical drive, the USB options are cheap. Good luck and let us know how it goes? Assume a DIY job? Dave :)

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
GREAT Sean! BOY, 2 TBs of storage! And of course, if you need an optical drive, the USB options are cheap. Good luck and let us know how it goes? Assume a DIY job? Dave :)

Yes, I'll be doing it myself. I upgraded the HD and RAM on this computer when I first bought it, but that was before SSD was a viable option.

I'm going to go with the RAM upgrade first and probably do the HD a few weeks after.

I just placed the order for the RAM, so I'll let everybody know how it goes.

Thanks for all the great help!

And a Happy New Year to all!!!

Sean

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.