Mac Book Pro blank Screen at start up

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Mac Book Pro, here is the issue I recently upgraded to Yosemite about 2weeks ago and my machine was running better than it ever has. I recently did a security update not sure if that had anything to do with my issue. I turned on my computer and it was a blank screen I could hear the internal system working as normal but just a blank screen. Then a grey screen came up with a black bar and the apple logo then it was asking my if I wanted to reset my password. I have tried restarting holding shift, I have restarted holding the option command button down and I have rest the PRAM and still nothing. I need to recover some things from my desktop but afraid that its all lost. Can anyone give me some tips on what to do next?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like it might be hard drive failure. Have you tried re-booting holding down the command and r keys at the same time? That should get you into Recovery where you can do some checking with Disk Utility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.