Trash - Data Recovery

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Late 2014, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Yosemite 10.10.3
Hey guys. I just deleted an important Screenflow (screencapture software) project file from my Trash Can and need to recover it.

I have used "Stellar Data Recovery" app's quick recovery option to try & recover the file but it was not successful. I am now running the long "Raw Data" recovery option and will see if it shows up any results.

I was just wondering if I can use my mac safely until the file is restored? Are there certain actions I can and can't do (like creating more Screenflow projects or deleting any other files) in order to preserve the route data of the file I want to restore from the Trash Can?

Also, if the file can be recovered is there any guarantee that it will be fully functional and not produce any issues in the future?

I am new to data recovery so some advise would be great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina 13 Late 2012, iMac Late 2012, iPhone 6 64G, iPad Air 2 16G
Hi Josh,

Unfortunately, it is difficult to restore a deleted file.

The easiest way is to restore from a Time Machine Backup, but I will assume you did not set up Time Machine.

There is software which you are able to restore files, most notably Data Rescue (costs a lot of $), but your file may be already damaged.

Hope this helps, and please let me know if I am incorrect here. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina 13 Late 2012, iMac Late 2012, iPhone 6 64G, iPad Air 2 16G
Update: Looks like you knew the methods, sorry I didn't look at the post closely. If I were you, I wouldn't do anything to the Mac until it is found, as it can easily be damaged by doing activity on your Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Update: Looks like you knew the methods, sorry I didn't look at the post closely. If I were you, I wouldn't do anything to the Mac until it is found, as it can easily be damaged by doing activity on your Mac.

I'll have to agree w/ the above - when files are deleted from trash, the data remains but the space is marked as 'useable' meaning the the deleted information can be easily over-written w/ further use of the computer; so, you really need to try to recover your file(s) first, and that may be a costly 'crap shoot' - just saying. Dave :)

Reaction score
I know you don't want to hear this but, there's a reason the empty trash dialog says "this cannot be undone".
If you're very lucky you "might" be able to recover it. (or parts of it anyway)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Late 2014, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Yosemite 10.10.3
Hey guys. Many thanks for your replies. I have an earlier version of the file so might just have to do the work again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.