Opinions wanted

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 max (16-inch, 2021) & 2016 iPad Pro
I'm looking for opinions on whether to keep my present MacBook Pro or purchase a new one.

My present MacBook Pro:
- mid 2009, 15"
- Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
- Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
- Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 256 MB
- Running Mavericks

I use it mainly on the road (I'm a pilot).
- internet
- watch movies downloaded on hd
- email
- very little gaming
- word processor and spreadsheet

I'm within 70 GB's of a full 500 GB hd. Downloaded movies take up the most space (streaming is out due to hit and miss on internet speed at various hotels). My first option is to install a larger hd. Yes, an external drive for movies would be an option also, but I like the convenience of having all my movies on the laptop.

I'm also considering a new MacBook Pro with a larger hd. I have not kept up with the new models and advantages of the upgraded models. I'm asking all for your opinions on if a new MacBook 15" would be wroth the expense with my above listed uses of the machine or add a larger hd and more memory on present Macbook Pro.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
I'm looking for opinions on whether to keep my present MacBook Pro or purchase a new one.

My present MacBook Pro:
- mid 2009, 15"
- Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
- Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
- Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 256 MB
- Running Mavericks

- internet
- email
- very little gaming

I'm within 70 GB's of a full 500 GB hd. Downloaded movies take up the most space (streaming is out due to hit and miss on internet speed at various hotels). My first option is to install a larger hd. Yes, an external drive for movies would be an option also, but I like the convenience of having all my movies on the laptop.

I'm also considering a new MacBook Pro with a larger hd. I have not kept up with the new models and advantages of the upgraded models. I'm asking all for your opinions on if a new MacBook 15" would be wroth the expense with my above listed uses of the machine or add a larger hd and more memory on present Macbook Pro.

Thanks in advance.

I have the exact machine that you have. Even though they are now considered vintage, mine still runs top notch. I plan on using it until its dies. However if i could afford a brand spanking new one, i'd probably leap at it. Oh and I run Yosemite on it without any problems .

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, FS Dog. Like yours, mine still runs fine. Just looking for the pros and cons of either upgrading memory and hard drive on my current machine or getting the newest one out there now instead.

C

chas_m

The 9400M on that machine just can't handle FullHD well (720p = perfectly fine). It's a six year old computer, what do you think I'm going to suggest? :)

I upgraded from that model to a mid-2012 (essentially the same model as Apple is selling today as the low-end MBP, only *with* an optical drive), and couldn't be happier. 4x more powerful video card, RAM expansion to 16GB, BT 4.0 to take advantage of certain Yosemite features, this thing runs like a dream (and doesn't choke on graphically-intense programs like the 2009 did).

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Chas_m. Good points.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
- internet
- email
- very little gaming

I'm within 70 GB's of a full 500 GB hd. Downloaded movies take up the most space (streaming is out due to hit and miss on internet speed at various hotels). My first option is to install a larger hd.

Sounds to me that your main issue is storage space…and not so much any hardware performance issues. I would suggest installing a larger HD. But…I would also suggest that if you currently have a 500gig HD (not exactly small)…there is probably quite a bit of stuff on there that you don't use on a regular basis…and could be deleted or off-loaded to an external HD.

But if there really is not much you want or could off-load…then I would go the larger and less expensive HD route first.:)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You have very minimal requirements that, when they do present an issue, are easily addressed (hard drive space primarily). That machine will feel older than a newer machine quicker however which may be an issue down the line. For now though, I'd recommend sticking with this machine for as long as you can and then upgrade.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Van. That is what I'm starting to lean towards. I'd love to go with Chas_m's suggested route of just getting a newer faster machine now. Like yours and others suggestions of keeping my present laptop and adding more space and memory may be the way to go for at least a couple more years.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I would say pretty much the same as everybody else. I would get a 1 Tb USB HD and get shift of some of those movies. It will only cost your around $120.00. Surely you don't need them all, all the time. Even if you are a bit of an affectionardo and watch the same movies frequently they will play off your USB HD quite well.
As for replacing your laptop just for more storage well I would say that you would be wasting an otherwise good, reliable laptop.
Bear in mind to work efficiently you need 20% of your HD storage empty or you will start to encounter spinning wheels.
$120.00 is cheap compared to the other alternatives and it affords you the opportunity to also create a full Bootable Backup which would be very handy should a disaster occur and you lose or damage your laptop.
I use Carbon Copy Cloner myself but I have heard good things about ChronoSync.
Please ask if you need further advice.
Cheers,
Rod

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mIni *2013 macbook air *2011-itouch G4 32 gb (new repair projects:iMac G4 2002* imac g5 2007*
KEEP!
these things should last forever!
and those Chinese can work only 14 hour days instead of 16!

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
KEEP!
these things should last forever!
and those Chinese can work only 14 hour days instead of 16!

Banesto, that is what I was thinking when I switched to Mac from the PC world. This was my first Mac (late 2009) and since then I've included an iPad, iPhones, and another MacBook Pro for my wife. I'm used to replacing a PC every 2 to 4 yrs. I guess I still haven't adjusted to the thought of keeping a laptop long term.

Looks like the consensus is to keep and upgrade storage and memory.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.