iTunes and converting mp3 to ACC

M

macunkie

I have a somewhat large collection of audio in my iTunes Library. A little over 4000 tunes (17+gbs). Alot of these files are in mp3 format. I know iTunes can convert these to ACC, but the problem is that it duplicates the mp3 file into an acc. Does anybody know of a way to get iTunes NOT to leave the original mp3 after conversion? Is there any command line utilities out there that will convert my entire library?

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Generally speaking cross-conversion is a bad idea:

You are taking one lossy codec and running another one over it, which will result in slightly smaller file sizes but much worse audio degradation.

I'd either re-rip the entire library or leave it as it is, unless you specifically NEED the files in aac format.

OP
M

macunkie

Aptmunich said:
Generally speaking cross-conversion is a bad idea:

You are taking one lossy codec and running another one over it, which will result in slightly smaller file sizes but much worse audio degradation.

I'd either re-rip the entire library or leave it as it is, unless you specifically NEED the files in aac format.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that cross-conversion would result in audio degradation. I'll just leave them alone and for future rips import as acc.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
yeah, or if you're that concerned about hd space, get an external hard drive. I have a HUGE music library (something like 25 gigs?) and I'm only through "D" in my CD collection. I mean, I have like 12.5 gigs of U2 alone, but thank god my iMac has a 160 gig hard drive.

OP
M

macunkie

BlindingLights said:
yeah, or if you're that concerned about hd space, get an external hard drive. I have a HUGE music library (something like 25 gigs?) and I'm only through "D" in my CD collection. I mean, I have like 12.5 gigs of U2 alone, but thank god my iMac has a 160 gig hard drive.

Thank you. It's not so much a "space" thing as it is a "audio quality thing" I am more concerned with. I have my current 17 gigs of audio being served and stored from my G4 PowerMac on a "audio" partion. I have an exact copy of the 17 gigs on and external Firewire 400 drive that I backup to as I add to my iTunes library. I use a simple rysnc script that I run from my terminal. I simply issue the command, : sudo itunesbackup and it auto copies and deletes, (updates) to my Firewire. I'm just going to stick to acc formatt for future imports in the future.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.