Undelete images?

Reaction score
HELP! Just come back from an outing, took 60+ photos. Came home, plugged the 7D into my MacBook Pro, switched on the camera and into iPhoto. Named the new event and imported the images to iPhoto and deleted them from the camera.
Started editing the images in iPhoto, turned the portrait ones round 90º and iPhoto suddenly quit! Message comes up "iPhoto quit unexpectedly, send a report" etc. which I did, and then re opened iPhoto but all the images just imported have disappeared! Where the heck have they gone? Anybody any idea? Can I somehow re import them from the camera CF card even though it says it's "empty"?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
sounds like the card was corrupted in some way. Have you tried reading from a card reader as well as directly from the camera?

Also open up the Image Capture app - see if they (or at least some of them) are there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, i5, 4GB RAM
Hi, have you tried uploading the images onto a different computer? Just to see if the card is corrupted or if it is just a problem with iPhoto?

Are your images still on your card? I would recommend using image capture to import your photos and once you have done that - load up iPhoto and locate the images you have just imported through the finder and create/edit the event and then you can enjoy your photos as much as you like! :)

Jacob

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can I somehow re import them from the camera CF card even though it says it's "empty"?

No, you wiped the card when you told iPhoto to delete. What you need to do now is use an undelete program which can recover the photos from the CF card. There are several programs which can be used and can be found doing a Google search. If memory serves me right, the folks at "Stellar Data Recovery" have one such program.

Try here.

There are others also, so keep looking if you think the Stellar program is too expensive.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank's for advice but I have deleted them from the card, it is not a card problem but iPhoto crashing.
However, I have resolved the problem as follows:
Close iPhoto.
Hold down "option" and "command" and open iPhoto again. This opens it in "Photo library first aid". Here I selected "repair database" and hey presto, all the pictures came back into the library! Problem solved!
Hope this helps someone else - there are several other options available from the Photo Library First Aid menu!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.