Time Machine increasing size with deleted items?

Reaction score
Hi, time machine backups to my external drive are getting bigger after doing major clean-ups on my disk. Is that normal? or is my time machine set up wrong. Any advice would help with this rather simple but confusing subject.

Thanks in advance

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Unless I'm misunderstanding the circumstances you describe that's normal due to the way Time Machine behaves. When you delete some files from your Mac they aren't deleted from existing Time Machine backups.

Lets as,e for a moment that your Time Machine backup starts at 30 GB (numbers aren't important they're just for argument sake). Over time, additional backups are made. The backups contain pointers to unchanged files as well as backups of new/modified files. When you delete some files from your Mac those files are still in the Time Machine backup until it starts to run out of space and needs to prune the backups a bit.

The backup file obviously continues to get bigger because other files are constantly being added to it. What exactly is your concern about the size of the backup?

OP
S
Reaction score
Let me try to explain my understanding on how time machine works.

Since i already have a full backup of my disk, any changes or additions i make on my mac would result to "something" being backed up on the next time machine backup. Lets say i install an application that is 5 GB. The next backup i make on time machine should only back up that 5 GB of data. So I would assume that if i was to remove a program from my mac, it would result in nothing being backup. Today, I removed several programs, videos, etc. and started time machine and it started preparing a 122GB back-up! which doesn't equate to a new full backup since my drive is + 300GB.

So I'm confused....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.