Weather Channel videos won't play

Reaction score
I have a 2007 iMac w/ Snow Leopard (10.6.8) that I recently added memory cards to. Don't know if that's causing the videos to not play.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Adding a URL would sure help and does it use any type of java or Flash and are they installed and enabled — and up to date???

Have you tested or tried other video sites and do they work???

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I doubt the additional memory is the issue. I've had difficulty playing Weather Channel videos as well recently. I haven't started troubleshooting this yet. Other video, such as YouTube plays fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have noticed lately that some small video windows, typical in weather type sites, won't play properly if at all if either AdBolock or Ghostery are enabled with Safari in Mavericks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the tip. I recently installed both extension on my primary account. I don't visit the Weather Channel site often so it's entirely possible that they weren't installed the last time I used video on the site.

I'll let everyone know the results.

Edit: I can probably pin this down with a bit more troubleshooting but here's what I've noticed so far. If both Adblock Plus or Ghostery are disabled the videos seem to work. They don't need to be uninstalled just off. If either of these extensions are on the videos do not work. I haven't had an opportunity yet to see if fine tuning the settings for either extension solves the problem.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the tip. I recently installed both extension on my primary account. I don't visit the Weather Channel site often so it's entirely possible that they weren't installed the last time I used video on the site.

I'll let everyone know the results.

I wasn't really pinpointing or being specific about any Weather Channel sites but generally some of them and some sites that include a video window within their page.

Some appear to be dead, until I disable those Safari extensions. I haven't done much checking to discover which one may be responsible, but many non-working video windows end up working when they're disabled.

I guess it may also depend on the site as to what they sense. They want their ad revenue I guess. :D

Reaction score
Did anyone notice snow leopard which is no longer supported and the site may have been updated to only accept safari information from lion mountain lion and maverick and yosemite.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
While I can't rule that out in the Op's case it doesn't explain my problem with the same site. I'm running 10.10.1 (current Yosemite, Safari, and security updates). As soon as I turn off those two extensions the problem disappears.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did anyone notice snow leopard which is no longer supported and the site may have been updated to only accept safari information from lion mountain lion and maverick and yosemite.

FWIW: I have not experienced the same problem when booted and using Snow Leopard and its Safari at such sites. But I do with Mavericks that is supported. ;)

So much for something so many say is no longer supported. :D

OP
W
Reaction score
Adding a URL would sure help and does it use any type of java or Flash and are they installed and enabled — and up to date???

Have you tested or tried other video sites and do they work???

http://www.weather.com/ So I turned off AdBlock and that took care of it!

Strange, because videos always played previously with AdBlock activated. Don't know what changed. Also, videos would play on all other websites, just not Weather.com all of a sudden.

So all appears to be okay now. Thanks to all for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess some webpages are just getting smarter and snoopier as to what's getting blocked.

I just tried you weather URL and had to disable both AdBlock and Ghostery, but this time I just did so by clicking their icons in the web page and whitelisted it with Ghostery and "don't block" with AdBlock which I hadn't used before, and it worked after reloading the page.

A much easier method than disabling them in Safari Extensions. ;)

Ahhhh… so much to learn… so little time to do so… Maybe another 20 years of Mac'ing or so but I don't think I have that much time left. :( :D

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's consistent with what I was finding during testing last night. I found that disabling those extensions solved the problem. I hadn't gotten around to figuring out how to whitelist the sites. Glad to know that worked.

OP
W
Reaction score
I guess some webpages are just getting smarter and snoopier as to what's getting blocked.

I just tried you weather URL and had to disable both AdBlock and Ghostery, but this time I just did so by clicking their icons in the web page and whitelisted it with Ghostery and "don't block" with AdBlock which I hadn't used before, and it worked after reloading the page.

A much easier method than disabling them in Safari Extensions. ;)

Ahhhh… so much to learn… so little time to do so… Maybe another 20 years of Mac'ing or so but I don't think I have that much time left. :( :D

Can you point me to those icons on the Weather page that I don't see anywhere?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you point me to those icons on the Weather page that I don't see anywhere?

If you have AdBlock and Ghostery extensions for Safari installed and enabled, you should see their icons as per screenshot below that you can click on to use any of the options available.

AdBlock is the icon marked with the arrow on the left, Ghostery shown with the arrow on the right:

Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 2.44.28 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.