Phone calls going to both iPhones, iPhone 5s & iPhone 6

Reaction score
My wife and I both have our iPhones on one family account. Since I upgraded to the iPhone 6 we have both been receiving all incoming calls on both phones. I have looked up how to fix this and have followed all suggested steps. I have made sure that the Facetime settings aren't set to include both of our numbers, I have checked every other phone setting on both phones and can't see where either of our numbers are checked on our phones.

Anyone have any ideas?

Reaction score
It's most likely your cell phone provider forwarding both phones to each other you need to go to your cell phone provider and have them correct this.

OP
M
Reaction score
Cell provider couldn't figure it out. Apple suggested I go into FaceTime options and not only check to see which numbers are "checked" but also disable the "iPhone Cellular Calls" tab

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Even with FaceTime options turned on, an incoming call should not be directed to both phones. There's something going on with your cell provider, either as John suggested or maybe your sim card is messed up. You say the problem started when you upgraded to the iPhone 6, and that should be a clue since your carrier would have to activate the phone. You didn't mention which carrier - but if you're using Verizon or Sprint, the sim card is not used.

OP
M
Reaction score
Its through AT&T. They looked at all the specs of both phones when I spoke to them this morning. I will try going to a store next and having someone actually look at phone.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't closely follow the technicalities of cellular technology at the carrier level so disregard the following if it is a stupid question. Could the sim cards in both phones have been assigned the same phone number? I can actually think of instances where that might be desirable for some folks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's a good idea, let AT&T look at it. I have two phones here (T-Mobile) which are identical to the AT&T phones since both use GSM. I don't have that problem - when my iPhone receives a call it's only to my device. Same with my wife. And I have FaceTime turned on for my contacts both on the phone and my Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.