Google Safe Browsing Service

Reaction score
Greetings all!

I went to Safari, Preferences, Security, and noticed the following warning: "Google Safe Browsing Service is unavailable. No updates have occurred in 12 days."
I checked forums in Apple support which suggested unticking, and reticking the 'Fraudulent Sites box, but that didn't work. Another suggestion was to reboot in Safe mode, then reboot but that didn't help either. Lastly, I read a forum thread suggesting:

How to fix: "Google Safe Browsing Service is Unavailable" Error in Safari

1. On the Finder Menubar, click "Go".
2. Then click, "Go to Folder".
3. Type in: /private/var/folders
4. There will be a few folders to search through. Open them up and search for a folder named com.apple.files and open it.
5. Find, and open the folder named , com.apple.safari
6. In this folder, there should be a folder named, safebrowsing.db
7. Send it to the trash and delete it. This will force Safari to rebuild the file.
8. This should fix the problem. Check back in a day or so to test. Note: This file is not updated every day.

I couldn't find the referenced folder, so I am still unable to fix my issue. Can anyone shed some light for me?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I couldn't find the referenced folder, so I am still unable to fix my issue. Can anyone shed some light for me?

That folder is a hidden system folder which you shouldn't be messing around with anyway. What version of Safari are you using and which version of OS X are you running?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I despair of Safari and its various glitches at times, so decided to cut my losses and use Chrome for access to 'sensitive' sites like banking and online shopping. Does it deal with Google Safe Browsing? It has various security functions, but none by that specific name.

Info - I use dual systems: OS 10.6.8 with Safari 5.1 and Mavericks with Safari 7.1.2.

OP
D
Reaction score
That folder is a hidden system folder which you shouldn't be messing around with anyway. What version of Safari are you using and which version of OS X are you running?

I found it, and deleted the suggested folder, which has solved my problem.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.