Migration - Mac to Mac or Time machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Late 2016 w/Touch Bar 2.7GHz/16GB/51, iPhone 6, iPhone3GS, Watch2, iPadmini, AirPort Extreme
I have MBP late 2010 and am buying a new MBP . (Faster more memory and newer hardware) I'm running Yosemite and have keep all my programs and apps updated..
I have Time Machine running every hour ,my current backups go back to Jan 14'. that's when I replaced my latest Airport Time Capsule 2T.

Should I use the Mac to Mac migration or the Backup migration?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you are comparing Mac to Mac migration to migrating the from the most recent Time Machine backup I believe the result will be the same.

Whichever method you choose make that the first task that you do. We've had a few posts from embers who created a user account on the new machine before running the migration. This can result is two accounts and some confusion about where the files are stored.

OP
Don_H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Late 2016 w/Touch Bar 2.7GHz/16GB/51, iPhone 6, iPhone3GS, Watch2, iPadmini, AirPort Extreme

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.