Mac Mail icon missing

Reaction score
prior to Yosemite, Mail app had icon in top bar of the Mail app page, clicking it opened a panel of email addresses, icon now gone.
how do i restore that icon?
MBP (early 2011)
Yosemite 10.10.1
Mail 8.1

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you go to View whilst Safari is open, select Customize Tool Bar, and first on the second line is the Mail app icon. Simply drag the icon into the tool bar.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you go to View whilst Safari is open, select Customize Tool Bar, and first on the second line is the Mail app icon. Simply drag the icon into the tool bar.

Good eye Harry. I looked those options over twice and didn't find that icon.

Reaction score
Note: also applies to Mail.
Third row, third icon.

OP
M
Reaction score
I went to Mail customize toolbar, third row third item is "A". icon i'm seeking is not there.
the icon similar to the one i seek looks like the "add to contacts" icon but without the plus sign (+).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I went to Mail customize toolbar, third row third item is "A". icon i'm seeking is not there.
the icon similar to the one i seek looks like the "add to contacts" icon but without the plus sign (+).

Well, I'd have to agree w/ our OP, i.e. when I have Mail opened and go to the 'customize toolbar' option, I get the image below and do not see the icon desired (now I don't need it but not present for me either) - on the most recent versions of Yosemite & Mail - just saying? Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-12-27 at 6.39.57 PM.png

Reaction score
Ah, you're on the cartoon network OS (Yosemite).
Looks like they changed some things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, you're on the cartoon network OS (Yosemite).
Looks like they changed some things.

Now Craig - just noticed that you're still on Mavericks (unless not updated in your profile) and the OP is talking about Yosemite - ;) Dave

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Dave:

Craig downgraded from Yosemite to Mavericks due to some problems he was having with Yosemite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Dave:

Craig downgraded from Yosemite to Mavericks due to some problems he was having with Yosemite.

Sorry Chscag - was not aware of that issue but was just commenting on what appeared on my Yosemite version which seemed to be what the OP was talking about - just saying - Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Dave: Not a problem, I couldn't find that icon that Craig was talking about either and then I remembered he downgraded which is why I mentioned it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Dave: Not a problem, I couldn't find that icon that Craig was talking about either and then I remembered he downgraded which is why I mentioned it.

And maybe he actually "upgraded" buy installing Mavericks. ;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D

Reaction score
I think so. If we're lucky, after Apple gets tired of playing, we might get a real OS again with 10.11.

OP
M
Reaction score
mac mail icon missing

well i see we can now agree that Yosemite is missing the icon i wanted. thanks to all who looked.

C

chas_m

No, we do not agree. Everyone who has "answered" this question so far has been, simply, wrong.

Well, let me amend that: it's true that the option is no longer in the "customize toolbar." But use your brains for two seconds and think for minute: if you were going to make Mail even more efficient, where would you put the Contacts button so that it would only appear when it was actually needed, rather than taking up space all the time?

That's right! When you create a new message!

Oh look!

Mail-contacts.png

And so once again we find that something people believe to be a "flaw" in Yosemite is, in fact, a failure of user imagination. And before someone asks, yes it also appears in the CC or BCC field. It's almost as if someone at Apple actually thinks about this stuff and how to make it better or something!

Reaction score
You have a group named "Canadians"? That's like me having one named "Americans".
Jes pickin :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, we do not agree. Everyone who has "answered" this question so far has been, simply, wrong.

Well, let me amend that: it's true that the option is no longer in the "customize toolbar." But use your brains for two seconds and think for minute: if you were going to make Mail even more efficient, where would you put the Contacts button so that it would only appear when it was actually needed, rather than taking up space all the time?

That's right! When you create a new message!

Well not to be argumentative, but the OP was asking why that icon was not available in the menu bar and the correct answer is that Apple has decided not to permit that choice - so his question was answered correctly. Furthermore, there may be a reason(s) that the OP still wants that choice in that location - he or she would need to respond.

Now, I've used the 'plus' icon in opening a new message and find it tedious (vs. simply remembering the first few letter's of a person's email address) - after initiating a new message, 3 clicks are needed to get an email address into the proper location; so, I'm not sure this is much of an improvement.

For me, it makes little difference being a retired guy - I write mostly to people I know and simple click reply - I guess this is a rather moot & personal point - just saying. :) Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Methinks chas_m and some others like Jony Ive's thinness and multiple click/tap, tap, tap new design thing, and just like finding all the new almost hidden options. ;)

"After adding human interface design direction to his responsibilities in 2012, Ive will soon completely subsume Apple’s software design group, wresting control away from long-time human interface design chief Christie …"
Jony Ive shakes up Apple’s software design group, iPhone interface creator Greg Christie departing | 9to5Mac

I guess some of it may be an improvement, but I wonder what Bill Atkinson thinks of the new OS X graphical user interface and how some of it works...??? :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.