• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Amazons Online Movie Service.

BiT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel core duo iMac. 15.4" MBP, 100GB, 256MB vRAM, 1GB RAM, 2.16GHz
"According to the NYT, it looks as though Amazon is going to start competing with iTunes movie downloads." From the article: "So far, Paramount Pictures, Universal Studios and Warner Brothers are engaged in the talks, said one person close to the talks who, like the others, asked not to be identified because the negotiations are continuing. Although it is not clear when it might begin, an Amazon downloading service would be sure to send waves through both the media and retail worlds. Players in both industries are racing to offer new ways to give technology-savvy audiences instant access to their favorite shows and songs, in a field crowded with potential rivals using Internet and on-demand technologies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7, iBook G4, iPod 5th Gen 30Gb
I heard somewhere that the big movie companies didn't want to have much to do with downloadable movies and apple were having trouble with their ideas about putting them on iTunes.

I may be wrong, but if I'm right then why would the companies willingly be in talks with amazon?

It'd be cool though, It's the next logical step for the movie industry, people download movies through P2P software illegally at the moment anyway.

And what with DVD burners being common place people could easily burn their own movies to disc. They just won't get the special features and menus, but companies could offer the DVD image for people to download for a slight price increase so people get features as well!

OP
BiT

BiT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel core duo iMac. 15.4" MBP, 100GB, 256MB vRAM, 1GB RAM, 2.16GHz
but you see that wouldnt work either
people could just share the downloaded DVD image.

I

imacdoyou

I will NEVER pay 9.99 for a movie on itunes that is only available in ipod video format. I am excited about this new avenue for itunes, but for 9.99, I want something with much better resolution so I can watch it full screen on my 20" Imac...

Reaction score
imacdoyou said:
I will NEVER pay 9.99 for a movie on itunes that is only available in ipod video format. I am excited about this new avenue for itunes, but for 9.99, I want something with much better resolution so I can watch it full screen on my 20" Imac...

Yes You Have Hit it Right On The Head

Maybe have 3 or 4 Resolutions like

iPod
SD
ED
HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
I would find it foolish for any movie company to go with any company other then Apple. Think about how large of a following the iPod and iTunes has generated. If film companies went with apple the market share would already be there, unlike anything else that doesnt even exist yet...ie Amazons downloadable movie service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I know that Netflix is also working on a downloadable movie service in partnership with TiVo. They announced it last year.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.