Whats wrong with my Mac desktop

Reaction score
I keep getting this issue where my desktop image (and dock sometimes) only occupy the top left corner of the screen. Icons use the whole screen. Logging out and back in sometimes fixes the issue.. but not always. The other acount on the computer has never had this problem. It began once upgrading to Mavericks.
The background images are all stock mac images.

osx 10.9.5, with 3.4Ghz i7 16GB ram (1333 DDR3) stock SSD hard drive.

whats wrong??/

Reaction score
Check on the dock for Launchpad. You can click on the to display the icons for applications and reclick to switch off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I think leadfoot may have nailed what the problem is, which isn't really a problem. You are simply activating Launchpad. The Dock icon isn't the only way to activate it though. It can be one of the keys on the top of your keyboard. (F3 or F4 perhaps). You toggle it off by hitting the key again. It could also be Mission Control you are seeing. If none of this makes sense, please take a photo of your screen and post that so we can see what you are talking about.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.