slower and slower--iMac getting lumbaigo

Reaction score
Ok, I'm new to the forum and this has probably been discussed to death, but here goes....
Mac is getting slower and slower.
So, given that I have never done any regular maintenance on it (3 year old Mac) and I have NO skills or expertise (64 year old user);
A. Are there any on-board diagnostics for 'sussing the problem, and:
B. Are there any reliable and worthy downloads available (<$50.00)
Thanks

M

MacInWin

Onyx from Titanium (titanium.free.fr). That's all the maintenance you'll ever need. Just run the automatic presets. (Make sure you get the proper foreseen for your particular version of OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And young man how much free space is on the hard drive and how much memory installed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I think it's worthwhile adding a hardware check to the diagnostic procedures. Boot your iMac from its original dvd by inserting disk, clicking Restart, and as soon as the startup 'bong' sounds, hold down the C key). Hopefully your iMac will boot from the dvd, from which you can run Disk Utility. If you're still unsure of what to do next, check this Mac-Forums', or Apple's, website.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.