Mini Graphics

C

caveatipss

I am thinking of switching from PC to Mac Mini. It seems to meet all of my needs, except I noticed that it has some crappy onboard graphics engine. Is it any good, or should I get an iMac for graphics instead?

BiT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel core duo iMac. 15.4" MBP, 100GB, 256MB vRAM, 1GB RAM, 2.16GHz
well ive got an iMac, and it works pretty well, i dont think the mini is for graphics, but if you bought the iMac it would cost you 3 times as much.

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
look on arstechnica, they found that the mini is not bad at all at graphics really, take a look

OP
C

caveatipss

ezhangin said:
look on arstechnica, they found that the mini is not bad at all at graphics really, take a look

I read it. I guess my main concern is gaming.

OP
K

Kokopelli

If your concern is gaming, the Mini is not your computer. It will perform admirably for many things, but gaming is not it.

Reaction score
Why would you switch from a PC to Mac for gaming? Mac aren't gaming machines. But you should still get one. Mac for computing and PC for gaming.

OP
C

caveatipss

ripfrankwhite said:
Why would you switch from a PC to Mac for gaming? Mac aren't gaming machines. But you should still get one. Mac for computing and PC for gaming.

Well, my PC is broken, and I have a very limited budget. I just want to be able to PLAY games on the mini, even if it is not the highest video setting.

Reaction score
It's a real shame they changed the GPU in the new Minis. The card in the old mini was better than that in the new one. So they've improved the CPU, and spoiled the GPU. Don't do it. Honestly. To play games well you could easily spend the cost of a mini just on a graphics card for your PC.

But yes, Macs are much nicer to use for everything else :)

OP
T

Tiranis

chuckalicious: Oh, come on, man... get some info first. The new GPU is way better than the old one. At least it can handle Core Image and run Tiger properly, unlike the R9200. Seriously, get some facts before you start bashing. Shared RAM != crappy... it's all relative.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.