clicking noise and failure to start up

Reaction score
tonight a rhythmic clicking noise started and had failure to complete start up. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
tonight a rhythmic clicking noise started and had failure to complete start up. Any suggestions?

Well, welcome to the forum! :) But, you might want to give us more information, i.e. what laptop do you own (assume since posted under 'Apple Notebooks') and what OS X is installed? Is this a new issue? In not, what have you tried? Did you attempt to boot into recovery mode? Do you have a backup and/or a cloned drive? Just for starters - please respond. Dave

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

It sounds mechanical. Almost like a motor or fan issue. Sound is low and rhythmic, as if every cycle we are hitting something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Dave,

It sounds mechanical. Almost like a motor or fan issue. Sound is low and rhythmic, as if every cycle we are hitting something.

Hello again - please provide model/year of the MBPro. Does the computer boot up normally and is it useable despite the 'noise'? If so and if you do not have any type of backup, then consider getting your important data onto an external drive and/or USB storage (I suggested some options in my initial post). At this point, a failing internal HD cannot be excluded.

Has there been any recent damage to the computer, like a drop? Do you see any change in appearance around the trackpad (could be a swelling battery which may impact on other nearly internal hardware)? Are you still under warranty? Dave :)

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
Dave,

It is a Mac Book Pro13". Purchased in summer of 2011 with Japanese/English keyboard. I am out of warranty and Apple Care. Does not boot up; nothing but the clicking until a folder with a Q mark appears. I tried a recovery routine, but could not proceed with the repair disc routine. Did talk to apple; tech believes it is a disc problem and will most likely need a hard drive replace.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave,

It is a Mac Book Pro13". Purchased in summer of 2011 with Japanese/English keyboard. I am out of warranty and Apple Care. Does not boot up; nothing but the clicking until a folder with a Q mark appears. I tried a recovery routine, but could not proceed with the repair disc routine. Did talk to apple; tech believes it is a disc problem and will most likely need a hard drive replace.

Sorry, but your HD seems to be the issue - are you close to an Apple Store or an authorized Apple repair shop for an diagnostic evaluation? I'm assuming that you have no backups? If so, then you likely will have to get the HD replace and start over. Dave

OP
S
Reaction score
Dave,

Thanks. I've come to same conclusion. Fortunately, Apple Stores are reasonably close. Holidays may interfer with quick turn around, but we'll deal with that.

Cheers and thanks again,

SeamasP

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is for sure the Hard drive. I don't know how much you know about computers, but since Apple care is over if you know your way around inside a computer, putting in a new drive is easy.

If not take it in but you will pay a lot more for someone else to install it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is for sure the Hard drive. I don't know how much you know about computers, but since Apple care is over if you know your way around inside a computer, putting in a new drive is easy.

@ SeamasP - if you want to think about Dennis's advice, then take a look at this iFixit Guide on replacing your HD - described as 'moderate' difficulty and about a 45 minute job (although for first timers, likely longer) - good luck. Dave :)

OP
S
Reaction score

Dave & Dennis,
Not too worried about the physical changing the drive. Have removed old drives and installed memory cards on my desk tops, but I do not have install discs. Doesn't the new disc need an initialization and then OS download.

Seamas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave & Dennis,
Not too worried about the physical changing the drive. Have removed old drives and installed memory cards on my desk tops, but I do not have install discs. Doesn't the new disc need an initialization and then OS download.

Hi again Seamas - from your previous statements, your current drive will not boot and you likely have no type of backup (e.g. Time Machine or a bootable cloned HD, using a program such as CCC, i.e. Carbon Copy Cloner) - correct?

If so, once the new HD is installed, you will need some way to boot the new drive - likely the easiest way is to make a bootable Yosemite USB flash drive - instructions HERE; you likely will have to use another functioning computer - I'll stop there since having no experience in replacing a defective HD in this way, and let some of our 'hardware gurus' respond w/ reinforcing or further advice - good luck. Dave :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Dave,

Thanks once again. I'll wait to see what others say too. This is an area where I have no experience at all.

Thanks again,

Seamas

OP
S
Reaction score
My Drive

Dave & Dennis et al,

Took the powerbook into the Apple Store in Greenwich CT. Showed them Apple Care Receipt and purchase receipt of the Mac too. Considering that the Apple Care was purchased in 2012 about 60 days after the mac (12/17/11) and my difficulty arose on 12/17/14, they honored the apple care. So, my Angst was solved very very nicely by the Mac Care People.

It is a pleasure to go the Greenwich Store!! Big Time!

And thanks to you for the advice and help.

Cheers,

Seamas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi again Seamas - GREAT! Always easier to have someone else do the 'dirty work', especially while still under warranty! Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.