Macbook stuck at OSX Utilities Screen on startup

Reaction score
So I have a 2009 MBP that was experiencing trouble (It would not wake up from sleep sometimes without being restarted), so I tried to erase all of the contents and reinstall osx. I attempted this a few months ago and got to the point where I had erased all the contents. However, I got stuck because on startup I see the OSX Utilities page with four options -- to restore from time machine backup, to reinstall OS X, to get Help online, and Disk Utility. Regarding the first option, I don't have a time machine backup for this laptop and would just like to start from scratch. And when I try to reinstall OS X and set up OS X Mavericks, the system cannot verify my eligibility for the installation. I get an error that shows "An error occurred while preparing this installation. Try running this application again." Each time I try to install OS X, I get this error! When I try to restore my OS X Base System disk to my hard drive by using the OS X Base System as a source and my Macintosh HD hard drive as a destination, I get an error that shows "The startup disk can't be used as a restore source". I'm so confused about how to proceed with my computer without going to the apple store. Any help?!!!

Thanks so much!

Reaction score
Do you have the 10.6 installation disk that came with the MBP? Start from there first as this will trigger the updates first from app store. There will be a few security updates that have been added before Maverick. If the MBP is still having issues not waking up under 10.6. then you may have a hardware issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.