iMovie, Burn program, DVD discs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
Ok, This is my first attempt to make a DVD creation. Running MBP with mavericks. (See side bar for specs), Burn 2.5.1 and iMovie '09 (8.06) What I have done is to take about 43 pictures from a folder and dropand drag them onto the canvas. Then I added a song that I bought (yes, copyrighted). The video slide show works great within iMovie and can watch it via VLC off of my desktop in .m4v format? I can import it into the DVD video project selector in Burn. Burn states that it is the wrong format and converts it to mpeg2. The write fails. 2 discs so far, wasted. No errors reported by burn. Any ideas from you knowledgeable people? More questions? fire away!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Burn states that it is the wrong format and converts it to mpeg2.
Yes, that's correct. Mpeg2 is the required format for dvds.

2 discs so far, wasted.
Have the discs actually been written to? If so, have you tried them?

Try saving as an disc image/iso from Burn's File Menu>Save Image and see if that works. You can then make your dvd by burning that image using Disk Utility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, Late 2009, OS X Yosemite, version 10.10.2
I have a IMac, 2009, that I have never had trouble burning a DVD.
This week I used iPhoto to make a slideshow and as prompted used my iTunes library and chose 2 of my songs. I then uploaded to iMovie and uploaded to iDVD. It takes a while to upload and burn, (less than an hour) and it sounds as if it burns, but it shoots out saying "Done" in the "multiplexing and burning" stage as if it isn't DONE.
I have read every forum on this and tried it all.
Last week to use iMovie & iDVD I had to update my system to OS X Yosemite.
I need a step by step check list to understand why I can't seem to get a DVD to burn.
I have always used Sony DVD-R, but I will go out to buy Verbatim DVD's today...
I need help????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac>DVD burner>iphoto&iTunes>iMovie>iDVD

I am having similar problem:'(
I have burned a DVD of iPhoto photos before.
I had to update to OS X Yosemite to use iMovie last week.
This was my first attempt at saving and burning a DVD of what I created using my own photos. I paid for the songs I used in iTunes,(per Apple forums) I uploaded my saved project to my desktop (m4v) , slideshow to iMovie saved to desktop (dvdproj). I then pasted to iDVD(dvdproj). I hit the BURN DVD icon and it sounds as if it is all downloading and even burning but then it ejects and even says"Done", but it is still in the "multiplexing and burning" stage. When I check out the DVD in our hone DVD player it is blank.
I have read many forums on this all weekend. I have a month of work in this project...I have to get a DVD to give as a gift and show at a party in a week.
I need a step by step check list that isn't the same as I have read on old forums.
Help.

M

MacInWin

This is a dual post. The HeyItsDebV also posted also in the OS X Operating system forum. Please merge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iDVD Burn

Thanks, Jake!
Sorry if I am in the wrong place on this forum.;)
I have no idea the correct place to post in OS X or apps and games ? I operate in OS X Yosemite and I am using the apps iPhoto, iMovie & iDVD.
(Patience requested, heads up, I am 60 yrs old and on a constant learning curve :p

M

MacInWin

No problem, HeyItsDebV, this is probably the best forum. It's just considered poor etiquette to post the same thing in two different places here. What happens is that people start to respond and the two threads can be duplication/differing and confusing to all concerned (including you). A Moderator will eventually see the dupe and merge the threads so that all the replies are in one place. And being 60 is not a problem. We have a bunch of "mature" users here. I'm 69, myself. Welcome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Any reason why you are using iMovie? You can just drop the exported slideshow movie straight into iDVD.

It takes a while to upload and burn, (less than an hour) and it sounds as if it burns, but it shoots out saying "Done" in the "multiplexing and burning" stage as if it isn't DONE.
It might be an iDVD problem. Try saving from iDVD as a Disc Image and see if that plays with DVD Player, then try burning the image to a dvd using Disk Utlity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This was my first attempt at saving and burning a DVD of what I created using my own photos. I paid for the songs I used in iTunes,(per Apple forums) I uploaded my saved project to my desktop (m4v) , slideshow to iMovie saved to desktop (dvdproj). I then pasted to iDVD(dvdproj).
Having just seen your other post, I'll just clarify things a bit.

From iPhoto, export your Slideshow, which will give you a video file. Open iDVD and drag and drop that video file into the main iDVD window. Click Burn.

If that still doesn't work, then try the Disc Image method above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.