Advantages to buying a new MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
I'm using an old Macbook 5.2 (2.13 Ghz.) What difference would I see in a new MacBook. If I'm using it largely on the internet would I gain much for the extra money spent? I think not! What do you think?

C

chas_m

Well, for starters, Apple doesn't even make MacBooks anymore, so you can't get one. You'd be getting either a MacBook Air or a MacBook Pro, depending on your interests.

If you're talking about this model, I had the same unit in black before I upgraded to a mid-2012.

I should think it would go without saying that the machine is hugely more responsive, due to a much faster processor, much faster and more powerful video card, and the capability of installing more RAM. Yes, on Internet surfing and everything else, particularly anything graphic-intensive like iPhoto, Photoshop etc.

In addition, I can take advantage of many of Yosemite's/iOS 8's lead features using this machine that the mid-2009 could not, such as Handoff and Continuity. This has turned out to be a HUGE time-saver for me. Having Bluetooth 4.0 means I can buy a recent-model fitness tracker that won't work with older equipment. Having a Thunderbolt port and a USB 3 port means that through either connection I can perform backups just ridiculously much faster than using USB 2. Backlit keys are nice, the much higher-quality LED screen is great, trackpad gestures are pretty cool, knowing I won't be cut out of the next OS update, being confident that I can buy an iPhone 6s or iPhone 7 in a year or two and it will work with my current machine, being able to play reasonably high end games or watch 1080p movies without stuttering or dropped frames ... opening iPhoto without having to go make a cup of tea while I wait for the library to load ... really I could go on ...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
The Macbooks were what, 1280x800? A 13" Air has a higher resolution (1440x900) meaning more content can fit on the screen. The Air is faster, thinner, lighter, and will run all day compared to yours, which unless you've changed the battery, I can't imagine it's lasting all that long these days.

If the budget allows, a 13" Retina with 256GB storage would allow for 1080p videos and the Retina display itself makes web browsing so much more pleasant.

Reaction score
The newest macbook Pro is essentially a larger macbook Air with Retina display and options for speed in increasing prices up to an independent graphics and quad core processor both Air and new Pro now have PCIe SSD and permanent RAM

Reaction score
I am curious of what the benefits are from buying from the apple store vs somewhere like Best Buy where you can get the same product for cheaper right now.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am curious of what the benefits are from buying from the apple store vs somewhere like Best Buy where you can get the same product for cheaper right now.

The only benefits I can think of are:

- If you needed to ask questions before the purchase…the folks at the Apple Store would be MUCH better able to answer them than Best Buy.
- Maybe if you needed to return the computer for some reason for a refund (in the first 14 days)…the Apple Store may be a more pleasant experience.

If you know exactly what you want…and have no questions…then purchasing from the store with the lowest price is the way to go!:)

If you have questions after the purchase…or need Applecare warranty service…you can always go to the Apple Store for this (don't have to go to Best Buy).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.