Iphone 5 back up?

Reaction score
Hi,
So I want to give my dad my old iphone 5 but I want to back up everything before I restore it. I have a twitter account that I forgot the password to and I forgot the e-mail on that but it is still logged into my iphone 5 and I get my tweets that way. Can I back all the information so that it saves all the passwords and everything? can i do this on icloud?

I have a samsung galaxy through my company right now, but I plan to upgrade to an iphone 6 in a few months so I want to keep all the data safe and secure stored somewhere so I can store it on my new phone when i get it in a few months.

Whats the best way to do this?

sorry if this question is a bit convoluted, I can explain more if necessary thanks for any help! :)

C

chas_m

1. Connect your iPhone 5 to the computer you've been syncing it with, using the usb charge cable.
2. Open iTunes, navigate to the page for the iPhone, do a complete backup.
3. After that's done, you can erase the iPhone 5 to factory ("as new") settings.
4. Give to your dad.

OP
A
Reaction score
1. Connect your iPhone 5 to the computer you've been syncing it with, using the usb charge cable.
2. Open iTunes, navigate to the page for the iPhone, do a complete backup.
3. After that's done, you can erase the iPhone 5 to factory ("as new") settings.
4. Give to your dad.

Thanks, i did the backup. but how do i recover the backed up info? is it saved on my comp somewhere?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks, i did the backup. but how do i recover the backed up info? is it saved on my comp somewhere?

Not sure which iOS version was on your old iPhone but if a recent one, did you have 'Find my iPhone' activated on the phone and in iCloud? If so, you need to make sure that feature is no longer in effect, otherwise, your father will not be able to setup the phone as a 'new' iDevice under his name and Apple account, which will be needed - check HERE for a more thorough explanation and use the links if needed.

Your backup is on your computer, when you obtain the iPhone 6, simply cable into iTunes and do a restoration. I just replaced my iPad 2 w/ an Air 2 - my steps included: 1) Deleted the 'Find my iPad' from the device and checked in iCloud; 2) Did a backup cabled on iTunes; 3) Erased the iPad 2 from the device (i.e. erase all settings & contents); 4) Restored the backup to my new iPad Air 2; and 5) Just sold the old iPad 2 online w/o no problems from the new owner in setting the device up. Dave :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Not sure which iOS version was on your old iPhone but if a recent one, did you have 'Find my iPhone' activated on the phone and in iCloud? If so, you need to make sure that feature is no longer in effect, otherwise, your father will not be able to setup the phone as a 'new' iDevice under his name and Apple account, which will be needed - check HERE for a more thorough explanation and use the links if needed.

Your backup is on your computer, when you obtain the iPhone 6, simply cable into iTunes and do a restoration. I just replaced my iPad 2 w/ an Air 2 - my steps included: 1) Deleted the 'Find my iPad' from the device and checked in iCloud; 2) Did a backup cabled on iTunes; 3) Erased the iPad 2 from the device (i.e. erase all settings & contents); 4) Restored the backup to my new iPad Air 2; and 5) Just sold the old iPad 2 online w/o no problems from the new owner in setting the device up. Dave :)

Thanks guys. I was wondering can i also back up the messages or save them to the computer or another external hard drive via some program?

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.