Remote monitoring of my elderly dad

Reaction score
I have a 98 year old dad who lives on his own 100 miles from myself. He is deaf (so can't use a phone) and very frail. I would like to set up a system so that I can check on him to make sure he is safe and well.
I've seen a camera that can be viewed and controlled remotely from an apple device and I've seen a sensor system that will track his movements around the house and any comings and goings (e.g. of carers). I'd also like to be able to flash up messages on his TV or a separate monitor.
Can anyone help me with a setup that would do all this. I have an iMac at present but would be willing to buy whatever other equipment might be needed.

Reaction score
You would need to have another computer in your dads home that able to be linked on the internet for an IP camera and some form of media box to link also. Cheaper option would be skype video call with an internet connection. Hopefully a grownup will correct me here and offer a better solution

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for that.
The main problem is that the setup would have to be controlled entirely from my remote location as dad would not be able to interact with it - except perhaps to speak to the camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks for that.
The main problem is that the setup would have to be controlled entirely from my remote location as dad would not be able to interact with it - except perhaps to speak to the camera.

Hi JDHill - first, welcome to the forum! :) Second, your concern for your elderly father is commendable - probably the easiest advice is to have 'care givers' check in periodically, and not sure if this is being done routinely or even if 'live in' care is being provided?

Might help us to advise as to his current situation regarding care, i.e. can't imagine a 100 y/o man being able to care completely for himself? Where are you located? If you want to monitor him from your location, then multiple video cam devices would be needed in various rooms and locales - you likely would need professional advice on the best way to achieve this goal - let me stop there for you to respond. Dave

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks Dave,
I'm in the uk. Dad lives in Selby in Yorkshire. I live in Lincoln.
Dad is absolutely determined that he wants to stay in his own home though in truth he is not capable of looking after himself.
Dad does have carers going in 4 times per day. They make his meals, give him his medication, etc but they are only with him for about half an hour per visit. The rest of the time he is alone. I'm particularly concerned about night time as he does often get up in the night.
He has a lifeline pendant which he can press (assuming he can) if he falls or has some other emergency but the control centre can't communicate with him to find out what the problem is because of his deafness. All they can do is call out an ambulance. I'm about 1 hour 45 minutes away.
You are right. I really need some expert help in designing a tech set up to help keep dad safe. I was hoping that someone out there might be able to help. I'm aware that this forum is US based but I assume there are a significant number of UK members. It would be a bit of a commute for you!!
Thanks again for your concern.
John.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks Dave,
You are right. I really need some expert help in designing a tech set up to help keep dad safe. I was hoping that someone out there might be able to help. I'm aware that this forum is US based but I assume there are a significant number of UK members. It would be a bit of a commute for you!!

Hi again John - thanks for the information - my MIL will be 94 y/o next month and is pretty much bed-ridden - lives w/ her son in Montauk, Long Island - they have some rotating 'live-in' caregivers who have been great.

There are members on the forum from all over the place and many are technology/computer professionals, so hopefully you'll be seeing some more posts that may help. Good luck - Dave :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I was going to suggest a pendant as part of the solution/ Glad to see that you have thought of that. Here are two things that occurred to me:

1. Does the pendant self-actuate in the event he were unable to press the button after a fall. I think some of the ones available in the US have this option so something similar may be available. May not be much help in non fall situations though.

2. Have you discussed this issue with the pendant company or some others. I suspect that your dad can't be the only person in this kind of situation. In fact, it might be advantageous to talk to some folks who work with those who are deaf/hard of hearing. Even if their clients are younger they must have given some thought to this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.