Drop box is a little intrusive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
I'm not a big app guy, frankly, if it isn't here already, I tend to stay away. I needed to transfer some files that were too big to email, so I installed dropbox. A few weeks ago, I figured out how to do partial screen captures. Today I was trying to do that, but the captures disappeared. Then I noticed that the little blue open box icon was there when I was doing a screen cap. Sure enough I click on the dropbox icon and the screen caps are in drop box.

Can I just turn dropbox easily on and off, and if I turn it off, will the screen captures go back to my desktop so I can find them? Also, It says the captures are being sent to my clipboard. I didn't know there WAS a clipboard.

ken

Reaction score
What are you using to capture the screen?
Command-shift-3 will not save to Dropbox unless you've set it up with something like Tinkertool.
I use Monosnap, which can save to Dropbox but doesn't have to (actually I think it costs to do that).

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
What are you using to capture the screen?
Command-shift-3 will not save to Dropbox unless you've set it up with something like Tinkertool.
I use Monosnap, which can save to Dropbox but doesn't have to (actually I think it costs to do that).

Command/Shift/4 and it DOES in fact save to Dropbox.

ken

Reaction score
Ok, I tried command-shift-4 and a dialog did pop up asking to save to Dropbox. I told it no and the pic saved to my desktop.
At some point you must have clicked the OK button so it saves to Dropbox.
What you might try is move ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screencapture.plist to the desktop, log out/log in and try again.
No guarantees.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I tried command-shift-4 and a dialog did pop up asking to save to Dropbox. I told it no and the pic saved to my desktop.
At some point you must have clicked the OK button so it saves to Dropbox.
What you might try is move ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screencapture.plist to the desktop, log out/log in and try again.
No guarantees.

Not only did I NOT click on anything saying save to drop box, I get no dialog asking if I want to save to Dropbox. I opened Dropbox preferences and there is no option their either. Not a big deal if I can just turn it off and only run it when I need it and if I close it, again save to my desktop. If I close it, I assume I can just start it again if I ever need it, is that the case?

That's a little beyond my comfort zone.

EDIT:

OK, was able to close it and re-open when I need it. I found in preferences the box that needed to be unchecked. It was under "Sharing"

Thanks for your help.

ken

Last edited:
Reaction score
Try unchecking this if it's checked. In Dropbox prefs.

Import 2014-12-22 03-28-00.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.