iPad not recognized in iTunes

Reaction score
All of a sudden, when I plug in my iPhone or iPad iTunes does not recognize them. I have tried everything suggested so far from Apple support. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
yes several but we need some information from you..

1. which o.s

2. which iPad 1,2,3,4,iPad air,mini

3. which iPhone

these will help users here better assist you

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your iPad and iPhone should be recognized in iTunes when you attach them by their cable to your Mini. Try leaving them attached and reboot your Mini. Also, did you by chance turn on iCloud drive? And finally, which version of iOS are you running on the iPad and iPhone 5s?

OP
Jagsfish
Reaction score
It recognized my iPad this morning. When I plugged it in a few hours later it did not. Same with my iPhone. I tried a different cable, same results. The only thing I did was download an app on the computer for my iPhone.

icloud drive is off on both of my devices.

8.1.2 on both. Maverick on Mac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can understand if both your iPad and iPhone are not being picked up by iTunes when they're just on WiFi or your home network and not attached, however, they should be immediately recognized when hooked up via their USB cables.

Why don't you upgrade to Yosemite and then the latest version of iTunes to see if that resolves it? You should be using Yosemite anyway. Make sure you backup everything before upgrading to Yosemite. Use Time Machine and/or cloning software.

I'm using Yosemite and the latest version of iTunes and both my iPhone and iPad appear as an icon in the top menu even when they're not attached via cable.

OP
Jagsfish
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. My devices came back up after shutting computer and mac down twice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.