iMac slowing down lately

Reaction score
Our iMac has been slowing on processing lately, and I’m getting tired of seeing that spinning beachball and hearing the thing process. Reading posts on other threads, I was thinking that maybe we needed to increase our memory. We have 4 slots, 2 in use, with only 2GB in each.

I’m hesitant to open it and mess it all up, but I have seen online (and here), that it’s “just” a matter of buying the correct memory for the system and following instructions on adding it in. Is it really this straightforward? Is there anything I would have to do first or a link to clear instructions? I’m very good at following instructions.

We have a 27”, mid-2010 iMac. 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, only 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3.

We ‘re using 450GB of 999GB of hard drive storage. Movies take about 265 GB of that, but Husband wants them there...unless someone has suggestions for alternatives? We split the load: He buys equipment, then hands it to me to “deal with it.” Smart man, but hates dealing with these kind of details outside of work. So I read threads here and ask questions.

Double backup: 926 GB available on a 2TB MyBook (firewire), and 1 TB available on a 2TB AirPort. I wanted the double backup because we have ALL of our pics, cds, movies, etc. The AirPort is also backing up a MBP. Backups are through Time Machine.

Link to Apple’s technical specs on this, originally: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP695?viewlocale=en_US

Thanks in advance for any help, about the slow down or the movie storage.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
We have a 27”, mid-2010 iMac. 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, only 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3.

Without getting overly technical…you're probably not rebooting your computer often enough. With 4gig of ram…certain processes can get "overloaded"…slowing down the computer. The more the computer is used & the less ram it has…the faster this can happen. I usually need to reboot one of my computers once/week (with 4gig of ram).

Things get better with more ram. So you can either reboot the computer more often…or give the computer a ram upgrade. One option costs money…and the other option is free!:)

- Nick

p.s. Please read some of the links in my signature for more info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.