Yosemite-great but login hangup is a problem

Reaction score
I am in Mac/Apple support at my place of work. Love Yosemite features but the login hanging up is a problem. I have run across it at least ten times. Most of our accounts are encrypted and it seems to effect those accounts easier. Any suggestions?

OP
M
Reaction score
When you boot up in Yosemite, the line that is filling in while it is booting up, hangs at about 40% and doesn't get any further. Doesn't allow you to boot up.

M

MacInWin

Patience, Grasshopper, the line will suddenly jump from the 40% to nearly finished. I don't know what OS X is doing there (I think it's fsck-ing, but not sure if that's ALL it's doing.) I've never seen it hang up and refuse to finish.

OP
M
Reaction score
Wow! I have waited a good half hour and no movement for a few of our Mac users here.

M

MacInWin

Wow, that is not, AFAIK, definitely NOT normal. I've not seen it here, but I'm not logging into a network, just my local machine. I do know that the line is new in Yosemite, but I've read somewhere that nothing new is happening, it's just Apple giving folks an indicator that things ARE happening. Might be worth a call to Apple. Even if you don't have AppleCare, you can still get Yosemite support.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nice find. FileVault does it again! I can understand the need for encryption and protection of sensitive data, but when it locks you out, that kind of defeats the purpose of using it in the first place. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.