internal speaker volume control and Bluetooth keyboard problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 inch iMac, 2017
MODIFIED ON 12/18 PM
For reasons I don't understand I have suddenly lost control of the internal speaker volume control from my keyboard. I am using OS 10.10 and Safari as a browser. When I select the "keyboard" in system preferences I don't see my keyboard, i.e. the function keys are not shown.. The Bluebook keyboard shows the function keys but when I try to open the Bluetooth keyboard I get an error message "no keyboard found". How do I open the Bluetooth keyboard?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Do you by chance have "Use all F1, F2 keys as function keys" checked in keyboard preferences?

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 inch iMac, 2017
I reset the SMC and the"use all F1, F2 keys as function keys" box is checked. Neither solved the problem.I think that if I can open the "Bluetooth keyboard" my problem would be solved. See the modified problem above.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Try using the option+shift+ your F11 or F12 volume keys. It should provide a finer volume adjustment, and a different input command.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 inch iMac, 2017
internal speaker volume control

How do I turn on the Bluetooth keyboard? When I select the keyboard in system preferences I don't see the function keys, just the plain keyboard. The Bluetooth keyboard shows the function keys.

Reaction score
I reset the SMC and the"use all F1, F2 keys as function keys" box is checked. Neither solved the problem.I think that if I can open the "Bluetooth keyboard" my problem would be solved. See the modified problem above.
Actually, if it IS checked the volume keys wont work without also pressing the FN key.
Might want to uncheck that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Early - you need to provide more information: 1) What computer & keyboard are you using; 2) What OS X is installed; 3) Is this a 'new' keyboard; 4) Are the batteries fresh; and 5) What have you done to correct the situation. Dave :)

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 inch iMac, 2017
Problem has been solved. When I unchecked the 2 boxes in the system preferences "keyboard", "use all ... etc" and "show keyboard ...etc" the problem went away. I can now control the volume with the function keys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Problem has been solved. When I unchecked the 2 boxes in the system preferences "keyboard", "use all ... etc" and "show keyboard ...etc" the problem went away. I can now control the volume with the function keys.

Maybe next time when posting a problem, don't cross-post, and you would have probably got a reply better and faster — if proper data and info is provided with the question. ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@earley:

You've been a member long enough to know about cross posting and posting to the correct forum. I merged your posts together here and moved everything to the right forum. Your topic had nothing to do with being a "Switcher".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.